View Poll Results: Does sound skip or stutter on your computer in 10.04 with pulseaudio enabled?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

56 78.87%
  • no

15 21.13%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Audio skips or stutters in Lucid

Beans

Re: Audio skips or stutters in Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by mullens101 View Post
    Updating ALSA to 1.23 appears to have resolved the issue (or as fredknex said, if it's not completely resolved, it's alot better than it was)
    My friend's Compal JFL92 (ALC268) has been suffering from this issue for a couple of months (at least). Does updating ALSA really work?
    Last edited by HandeH; April 7th, 2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: FJL92 -> JFL92

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We haven't had any reports of this issue since the upgrade to 11.04 came out. Are you running the latest version of Ubuntu?
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

It is running Lucid Lynx and does not matter if you boot with the current kernel or the older ones (e.g. 2.26.32-24 or newer).

The issue is experienced also with 11.04 and 11.10 live CDs, but the playback audio is working with 10.04.2 live CD. All 32-bit.

I think, an interesting thing is that in 10.04.2 live CD there is the same versions of the following packages than in the up to date and broken installation:
    alsa-base
    alsa-utils
    bluez-alsa
    gstreamer0.10-alsa
    libasound2
    libasound2-plugins
    linux-sound-base
    pulseaudio.

Beans

I just turned to a workaround: I bought an external USB sound card (A-Link SU51).

Beans

Still a problem in Precise 12.04-beta1. A bug report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/882566

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am having this skip/stuttering problem on Xubuntu 11.10 64bit, very frustrating. Gets worse when I plug in my USB speakers.

Rodney

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    I am having this skip/stuttering problem on Xubuntu 11.10 64bit, very frustrating. Gets worse when I plug in my USB speakers.

Rodney
    Hi Rodney,
    if you are still using Xubuntu/Ubuntu, you can try a workaround found here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...566/comments/6

It helped for me. Now I'm able to listen to music through the native sound card of my Compal JFL92 (Serval?) and do not have to use an external USB sound card in Lucid 10.04. Also the 12.04 (beta 2) now turned out to be usable OS for this Compal

Before trying that workaround you can just try to make a change in your BIOS settings: AHCI configuration = Disabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm also seeing the issue in ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit) on my serp4. I'd seen it in older ubuntu releases as well. One interesting bit is I only see it in gnome -- if I log into kde instead video/sound (like from http://www.watchtheguild.com) plays 100% normally. This was a fresh install from CD for 12.04.

The "killall pulseaudio" set of instructions does certainly kill pulseaudio. What do I turn on to get sound again? Alsa is installed.

Update: After I rebooted with pulseaudio killed, the stuttering came back and I can't change the sound volume with the F7/F8 keys or the sound icon in the top right of the gnome desktop.
    Last edited by andrewdied; May 3rd, 2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Added more info.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910