Thread: Live guitar effects.. Is my hardware good enough?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Live guitar effects.. Is my hardware good enough?

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm not sure how to phrase it.

I would like to run an electric (bass) guitar into my computer and use ubuntu studio for amp simulator, effects, and live looping, all controlled via a midi foot pedal. I intend to be pretty effects heavy - 1-4 amp simulators on different channels and 1-5 effects running on each simulator at the same time (ie make it sound like multiple guitars, all with different effects.)

I have a Sony Vaio pcg-v505ecp laptop, 1500 mhz pentium M processor with 1gb ram, and lshw gives my soundcard as a intel ac97.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a preamp or something before I plug my guitar in? Since I'm using an amp simulator can I just plug it in? I have no line-in jack, only mic-in.

2. Is my sound card enough? Do I need some external firewire thing? Ram is cheap so I can toss another gb of that on if it will help.

3. Will I be able to control everything via midi? jackd seems very decentralized, but I should still be able to turn channels on and off and control any effect I want right?

Beans

Re: Live guitar effects.. Is my hardware good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by decomp View Post
    Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm not sure how to phrase it.

I would like to run an electric (bass) guitar into my computer and use ubuntu studio for amp simulator, effects, and live looping, all controlled via a midi foot pedal. I intend to be pretty effects heavy - 1-4 amp simulators on different channels and 1-5 effects running on each simulator at the same time (ie make it sound like multiple guitars, all with different effects.)

I have a Sony Vaio pcg-v505ecp laptop, 1500 mhz pentium M processor with 1gb ram, and lshw gives my soundcard as a intel ac97.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a preamp or something before I plug my guitar in? Since I'm using an amp simulator can I just plug it in? I have no line-in jack, only mic-in.

2. Is my sound card enough? Do I need some external firewire thing? Ram is cheap so I can toss another gb of that on if it will help.

3. Will I be able to control everything via midi? jackd seems very decentralized, but I should still be able to turn channels on and off and control any effect I want right?
    Hi, you will need a line in, and
    for now, rakarrack and guitarix are excellent linux multi-fx apps, but you'll need a usb or firewire audio interface, and either a preamp, or a hardware guitar processor that has a preamp, or a digital guitar amp, (Line 6 Spider with line out), any of these will give a boost to the signal so the usb interface line-in can hear and record it at high quality. There are some interfaces with built in preamps, which could be cheaper/easier to deal with.

Check here for interfaces known to work:

http://www.linuxstudiopro.com/

There are a few youtubes of rakarrack, its 10 fine fx in one gui.

Cheers

Beans

Re: Live guitar effects.. Is my hardware good enough?

guitarix has a preamp as well

check the buttons in the bottom left area.

Last edited by thorgal; May 3rd, 2010 at 02:32 PM.