Thread: Looking for good project to get started on

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looking for good project to get started on

Hi guys/ladies:

I'm looking for a good, simple program to get started helping out on. I've never programmed in gnu/linux. I'd like to help maintain or grow a project/program/package/etc. I've done relatively simple C in the past, moderate vb.net (don't think that's going to take me anywhere here...), and I'd like to learn some more python. If somebody knows of something simple I can jump on board with and start learning some hoops, I'd appreciate recommendations.
    Thanks,
    -Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Looking for good project to get started on

I'd also like to join a project.
    I have some skills in c++ and am making my PhD in physics. I would participate in linux game development with great pleasure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

bump ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think everybody has to find their own path to a project that's right for them. "Scratch an itch you want to scratch," or something like that... Then sign up for a developers mailing list for a project that interests you, and introduce yourself and find a niche. Something like that.

Do you want to work on Ubuntu, or are you more interested in something upstream (i.e. a specific piece of software or genre of software)? If you want to work on Ubuntu, I'd suggest you start in the testing forum for Meerkat and go from there. You'll learn some of the internals of the platform and the OS that way and can get an overview of what needs help before you commit to anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Back at too many options? You have to give us something to work with, or we can't help you OP.

Ubuntu Developer Zone official intro page is here.

An interesting thread in the cafe full of upstream projects possibly needing attention is here: List Linux program you use that you feel need some help or love..

If you want to cut to the chase the book you want is this one: The Unix Programming Environment. It's in print and that link takes you directly to the publisher's online store.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cdaringe View Post
    Hi guys/ladies:

I'm looking for a good, simple program to get started helping out on...
    <snip>
    ...and I'd like to learn some more python. If somebody knows of something simple I can jump on board with and start learning some hoops, I'd appreciate recommendations.
    Thanks,
    -Chris
    Fixed that for you.

We're in similar situations, Chris. I've just been using linux longer than you have, and I have way too much ubuntu.
    Last edited by jetsam; May 15th, 2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: And an extra shot now! Wow! HOPE IT'S DECAF!!!!