Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USB devices won't automount in 10.04 Lucid

Beans

Re: USB devices won't automount in 10.04 Lucid

Thanks! I had the same problem on my Dell Inspiron 8200, and that worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have no mounting of USB (auto or otherwise) and no mount of eSATA.

I would be delighted to disable the floppy from the BIOS, but my ASUS P6X58D BIOS makes no mention of floppy anywhere.

What do you do in this case?

I tried the initramfs trick and the modprobe trick with no effect.

Beans

The funny thing is, it doesn't work on my laptop that i upgraded from 9.04->9.10->10.04, but everything works on my other laptop that i ran a clean 10.04 install on.

In fact, all functionality seemed to drop with each update of the older laptop, so i'm inclined to believe that i should only run clean installs in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans

hello all;

has anyone ever found a fix for this? usb mounts on boot, but will not automount. can mount manually or with a reboot but will not automount. thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadman62 View Post
    hello all;

has anyone ever found a fix for this? usb mounts on boot, but will not automount. can mount manually or with a reboot but will not automount. thanks
    You're luckier than me.. I can't get a mount on boot or manually or automount. I've tried every proposed fix I've found on on Google and have spent about 6 total hours in IRC on 6 different networks trying to figure this out. Nearly ready to go back to Karmic just because this stupid little bug is bothering me so much.

Beans

Cool Re: USB devices won't automount in 10.04 Lucid

I have a similar problem with an umts device. After it abortes anormally on reconnect there is the same problem.
    It has to do with ehci_hcd driver.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....22/+bug/88746

http://benbloggt.blogage.de/entries/...orfen-ehci_hcd
    Last edited by old_man0; July 13th, 2010 at 05:08 AM.

Beans

applied all updates last night including proposed, problem still remains. have tried majority of suggested fixes, but am still working thru the list. sad that something this major made it into a lts release. will post here when and if i find fix. good luck.

Beans

update: ok after much loading and unloading of stuff with no luck i threw in the towel and applied this work around suggested elsewhere in this forum.

Open etc/modules with admin rights.

Add the following lines and save:

usb_storage
    usbhid

hald is installed along with pmount and libpmount0.0, not sure if pmount stuff is needed.

after applying the above both usb's and cd's automount and unmount and remount without issue.

recap:
    stock install of ubuntu 10.04 on a 10yr old hp pavilion 5445 model. it has a built in floppy (yeah it's that old) but no way to disable floppy in the bios as some have suggested, floppy is last in boot order.

usb will load and mount correctly if it is in at boot up. it will NOT automount after system has been started or if user logs off then back on.

lsusb sees the usb flash drive and assigns the ehci_hcd to it in dmesg, however mount makes no reference of the usb at all. i do have a d-link 650+ wireless card loading the ndiswrapper in etc/modules to get the rf nic working. i've not uninstalled the ndiswrapper as some have suggested the use of the ndiswrapper is what breaks automount. ndiswrapper is listed before the above workaround in etc/modules.

maybe it's the old 1.0 usb ports in the laptop, heck maybe it's the position of the moon.

hope this saves a few steps, time and some effort for some folks.

now just don't close the lid while it's running. good luck to all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast