summary: I'd like to do incremental backup from my PanP5 to DVD-RW discs with `rsync`, as I formerly did on winxp. What do I need to do differently?
My former daily-work box was a TP with winxp, cygwin, and DLA, which I still have. I also still have the bash scripts I used on it for incremental backups of various parts of the HD to DVD-RW. The lifecycle was like
- (once) initialize/format a blank DVD-RW (using DLA UI)
- (many) run script to rsync files to the DVD-RW
- (once) once DVD-RW filled, finalize it (using DLA UI)
I want to resume doing this on my current daily-work box, a PanP5 running karmic (and soon hopefully lucid), with a built-in DVD-RW drive. I'm wondering,
- What do I need to do differently, esp for initialization and finalization?
- Which packages/tools do folks recommend? brasero? dvd+rw-tools? wodim?
- Is there any way to make the DVDs compatible with winxp, so that I could read and write from either OS?
- Are there gotchas, tips, or tricks I should know about?
TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>