Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synaptics Touchpad not working in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Synaptics Touchpad not working in Lucid

Alright, I installed 10.04 on my HP dv6000 laptop two days ago; I had a couple of issues with the keyboard and the menus, but I fixed that. Now my Synaptics Touchpad isn't working. The weirdest part is that before I fixed the keyboard and menu problems the touchpad worked fine (except scrolling, I never tried it). I've been looking around, but everybody else's touchpad would work at some point in the process; mine wont work as soon as I start the computer. It is one of the touchpads that has the disable button, and that works fine.

Again, I am using an HP dv6000 laptop, all default hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Synaptics Touchpad not working in Lucid

I too have the same issue with a dv6000. Everything worked perfect in 9.10 (including remote control).
    I have noticed that the touchpad will work prior to logging in. At the login screen I can move the mouse with touchpad. After I put in password and hit enter I can move mouse for a couple of seconds and then Boom, no function. USB wireless mouse works (good thing). Once I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2, then Ctrl+alt+F7 and it worked until next reboot, but that has not since worked so not sure what the hell that was. (just coincidence I guess).
    I boggles my mind how things that work flawlessly in previous version suddenly is broken in next. Shouldn't be happening, you'd think it was windoes for **** sake.
    Ubuntu 13.10

Beans

Another frustrated dv6000 user here (amd x2 64bit). It was working like a charm for 3 days and now out of nowhere :
    - Mouse moves around but clicks don't work.
    *and/or*
    - Mouse stops responding after the login screen.

Sucks I had to login to win7 to type this out. Looking for solutions.

I'm having my doubts about:

- Flash (in the Ubuntu-restricted-drivers)
    - Gsynaptics
    - Nvidia hardware drivers.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash__Gordon View Post
    ... I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2, then Ctrl+alt+F7 and it worked until next reboot,...
    EDIT: This works for me too.
    Last edited by powerslave12r; May 3rd, 2010 at 11:25 PM.

Beans

I am using HP Pavilion dv6000 too, my trackpad was working for a couple of days after installing Ubuntu 10.04, then suddenly it stopped working after my laptop went to sleep and woke up. Sometimes it works after rebooting, but freezes again after sometime. Its really frustrating as I always have to carry a mouse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by powerslave12r View Post
    Another frustrated dv6000 user here (amd x2 64bit). It was working like a charm for 3 days and now out of nowhere :
    *and/or*
    My exact same problems as well. I installed Lucid Lynx amd64 on my dv6000 a couple of days ago and it worked great. Yesterday I started to loose keyboard and mouse functionality.

My touch-pad and its buttons ONLY works on the login screen. After entering my password and pressing continue, my touch-pad immediately fails to respond. I have to use an external blue-tooth usb mouse.

My external mouse left click will eventually fail at the same time that my keyboard quits responding. I can still press 'CTRL+ALT+DELETE' to restart the computer. When my left click fails, it is as if the computer does not recognize that I've released the left mouse button.

There does seem to be some commonality with either dv6000 series or the synaptic touch pads going dead.

-bdk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by powerslave12r View Post
    *and/or*

Sucks I had to login to win7 to type this out. Looking for solutions.

I'm having my doubts about:

- Flash (in the Ubuntu-restricted-drivers)
    - Gsynaptics
    - Nvidia hardware drivers.

Any insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: This works for me too.
    With X.org 7.4, you might rather consider to use gpointing-device-
    settings, which is modern replacement for gsynaptics.

Beans

I did something better.

Installed Slackware 13.

Beans

Ok.. was able to fix my Synaptics issue via #42 on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...cs/+bug/549727. I tried #45 which is a short cut for #42 but that didn't work; most likely my fault.

Not sure if this will re-manifest itself with future updates but at least there is a bug report and a temp work around.

And in the typing of this up I decided to see if the touchpad on/off button worked which ended up locking my keyboard and could no longer click to select anything.
    Last edited by bdk; May 7th, 2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Problem started again; lost keyboard.

Beans

It seems that touchpad on/off button is a dangerous one. I had this problem too.

removed all of my gnome and metacity config files and it works fine now. price: lost all my configuration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast