Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: virtualbox on ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: virtualbox on ubuntu 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by RazorV View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but that would be nothing new since I'm still new to Ubuntu. But the Version of VB at Sun's website avail for download is ONLY for Ubuntu 9.10? Where are you guys getting a version of VB for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid?

thanks and please excuse my ignorance. I'm going to do a clean install of Lucid and it is mandatory that I run VB for XP proprietary apps. used for work.

Thanks for all the replies...
    just use the karmic version, wont kill anything i am and it works fine. I had a little issues with usb, had to add myself to the vboxusers group and had to chmod g+rw /dev/vboxdrv but now everythings pretty
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Great thanks for the info. I thought I was missing something for min. Thanks again for the udpate!

Cheers,
    Greg
    Sarasota, FL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

any difference between this and vmware.
    yes i'm a nood

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by goldshirt9 View Post
    any difference between this and vmware.
    You mean other than they're completely different products? In that case - no

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One is free as in beer and the other isn't? I've heard VMWare has more features (and it should, considering you have to pay for it), but for running Windows XP in a VM guest on my Ubuntu host, VirtualBox has been nothing but phenomenal. I have been running VirtualBox PUEL for Karmic on my Lucid, but I don't see any problems at all so far. I can still sync my iPhone on iTunes (which is what I use Windows for primarily), so I'm good.
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The PUEL version of Virtualbox and VMWare are both "non-free".. the vbox version isn't because of the usb support and maybe some other code. That's the primary difference between the PUEL version and the -ose version (free).

VMWare Server is also at no cost. I ran that for a couple of years while they were in the middle of 2 different control interfaces.. one standard program based vs. web browser access. I found VMWare to be too heavy and didn't really see the advantage for running a single VM at a time. Might be different if you were running multiple VM's on a 64 bit system with gabs of RAM and HD space..
    I'm hungry, I have a headache, I want to play, the white cat looks tasty, where's my bone, Brush Me, don't brush me, Flea! Flea! Woof!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That's why I said free as in beer and not free as in speech. I meant that VirtualBox is no-cost (not that it was FOSS). In any case, I've used VirtualBox for a while now, and I heartily recommend it.
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

+1 for me with Virtualbox as well.
    I'm hungry, I have a headache, I want to play, the white cat looks tasty, where's my bone, Brush Me, don't brush me, Flea! Flea! Woof!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I used VMware Server 1.0.x and 2.0.x, plus VMware Player 2.0.x & 2.5.x on Ubuntu. Then I tried VirtualBox -- and never looked back. I highly recommend VirtualBox over VMware's products.

VMware Server is overkill for the average user, unless you need to run/administer a collection of machines. For running one virtualize machine, it's too complicated and klunky, takes too many windows, and the newer version has to run through a web browser...

VMware Player was better.. but has a few troublesome shortcomings. One, it cannot create its own VMs; you have to either download one from a third party source or install/run VMware Server to make one for you. Second, it does not install the VMware Tools (drivers); it doesn't even come with them! You have to either have VMware Server do it, or get a trial copy of VMware Workstation and extract them (then copy to a CD and manually install in your VM).

No thanks! Too much admin and hurdle-jumping -- and which is too much to ask of the average user. VMware Player seems intended to be a product that lets users of the professional versions take their VMs home with them -- not to be a "one-and-only" VM tool.

VirtualBox handles everything: Can create a VM, has a great interface for configuring VMs, automates tool/driver installation, and has decent (real) hardware support. Plus, you can catalog & even run multiple VMs at the same time -- in a much more elegant fashion.

Otherwise, they're much the same in terms of features & performance. It's just that VB makes it soooooo much easier to get something up & running.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast