Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starling + 10.04 and Skype

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Starling + 10.04 and Skype

Does any one having problem with skype after 10.04 upgrade? I have sound issues. I found older version - fixed sound, but it crashes often (for example every time I try to chat with some one)
    Many people would sooner die than think. In fact they do. - B. Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Starling + 10.04 and Skype

I've not tested Skype yet. But that latest version available for Skype is still the one optimized for Ubuntu 8.10.

It seems development has ceased on it -- at least Ubuntu-optimized development. If I'm correct on this, it is going to become harder and harder to get Skype to work as Ubuntu progresses.

It might be time to start looking for an alternative to Skype.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Previously we were able to resolve this problem by installing older vesrion. This time older version crashes when you try to chat. hmmmmmm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have that same Skype problem with 10.04. Solved it by just using one of my other distros (Linux Mint).

BTW, am I the only person who finds Linux implementations of sound to be a mess? ALSA?? Pulse Audio?? Mix A, Mixer B, etc?

Not good, it seems to me. And hardly a unique Ubuntu problem.

Beans

bill516, you are not alone. Sound implementations were nothing short of *excellent* until this pulse audio crap kicked in. If one were to extrapolate using previous indications, chances are that the situation will improve as the pulse technology matures.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bill516 View Post
    I have that same Skype problem with 10.04. Solved it by just using one of my other distros (Linux Mint).
    Where can I find another version? There is Debian Lenny on skype website. But it crashes during chat.
    I also fund this post it seems to help to some people. Didn't work for me though

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=12

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Magic happened and skype works now. Now I have to replicate it on my wife's Starling. This post helped me although I'm not sure how

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fix-for-al...ed-issues.html
    I uninstalled pulseauio, installed esound, and was able to specify different audio device in skype. But the sound quality was terrible, and I couldn't even open "System > Sound". So I uninstalled esound and installed pulseaudio back, and now skype works.

I'll try to replicate it tomorrow, and figure out exactly what steps are needed.

Beans

My Starling is running the newest version of Skype from their website. My audio output and even video were working fine, but not the audio input. I found this other thread from the forums after some googling. It doesn't mater which channel you turn off, either worked for me. Seems like something in Lucid's pulseaudio setup expects the mono microphone to be stereo or something like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Had Skype running on 9.10 with audio, video and chat and no problems... Installed 10.04 and Skype fails to make test call - it immediately errors out. Test sound works fine, though... Any clues???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by kennedyjch View Post
    Had Skype running on 9.10 with audio, video and chat and no problems... Installed 10.04 and Skype fails to make test call - it immediately errors out. Test sound works fine, though... Any clues???
    OK. I unstalled pulseaudio with synaptic and reinstalled and guess what??? Starts to work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast