Thread: Accessibility in 10.04 LTS still no improvement

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Accessibility in 10.04 LTS still no improvement

I was looking forward to seeing what the new version of Ubuntu had in store, was told about all the improvements.

So I installed the new verion on my laptop.

I wanted to see how Orca had improved, since I currently use the Compiz magnifier as its the only reliable system.

Sadly on firing up Orca, I was reminded just how flaky and unstable this application was.

All I want it for is the magnification, so I turn off the speech and turn on the magnification, to be greeted by a grey screen and the system freezing. Great, so restart and try again, this time I get a little further, but its uncontrollable. I fiddle with a few display features to get it working, all looked promising, so I did a bit of browsing, just looking at google, it was jumping all over the place, when I move the mouse, it fires off somewhere else.
    I go to turn it off, but when I click on the menu, 'accessories', etc, non of the options would show, I had to resort to googling for keyboard short-cuts to turn the dam thing off.
    So clearly still more work to be done on this application, will it ever be a stable application? my view is that its still Alpha, it shouldn't be included with a Final version of Ubuntu, just lets the system down.
    Such a shame, after so much promise.
    but that's accessibility for you, guess its either Mac OS or WinDowze 7 as Linux has nothing to offer
    Kind Regards, Leona

Beans

Re: Accessibility in 10.04 LTS still no improvement

Orca has got a lot worse in 10.04. It is now unusable. The System Menu doesn't appear. Windows are not drawn properly. It worked OK in 9.10. There is no difference between the 64-bit and 32-bit versions. Compiz magnification is great! But there is no tracking of the keyboard cursor. Also I found the font smoothing in Orca not that good. Note that Orca in 9.10 was an awful lot better than 8.10. You could get rid of the system cursor. (That's the unmagnified cursor that is still present in the magnified image.)

I haven't got rid of Windows yet because video editing with Kino in Ubuntu is dreadful! In Windows the font smoothing is so much better that Linux. I am trying 10.04 for Due Diligence since I am thinking of getting an Apple Mac. The integrated Access is in general so much better than the PC. This is because you are not relying on a third party program do do it, so it will be more reliable since the operating system manufacturer is responsible for the access. Also Voice Over is quite a good screen reader I hear. The voice is amazing! To get that kind of access on a PC would cost £1200 odd! The computers are good as well. They are so quiet! The displays are beautifully large. Note that that laptop screens knock PC laptop screens for six. They are so much better than PC laptops!

I will be trying video editing on Ubuntu 10.04.

It is a great pity that Orca magnification is no longer working in 10.04. This is very odd since it isn't using 3D graphics so something has seriously gone wrong the the new version. I hope it gets fixed as a matter of urgency. At least they have got rid of the dreadful delay bug when starting Orca in 8.04 I think it was.

It is a great pity that Orca magnification is no longer working in 10.04.
    I have seen other threads where people have recommended using the zoom in compiz for magnification.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Well I am relieved that it isn't just me having these problems with Orca, I fail to understand how that got released out the door without some sort of testing.

Yes I use the Compiz Magnifier too, though it does get annoying when typing as it doesn't track the cursor, but its the best we have, so guess have to live with it.

I agree with you Declan on the Mac front, I believe I posted something about this earlier, when I tried out a Mac and noticed that they put accessibility at the Heart of the Operating System, and it makes so much difference, it just 'works!'.

Will we ever get that with Ubuntu? Well we can dream a? Maybe Ubuntu could 'borrow' (kidnap!) a Mac developer for a while
    Kind Regards, Leona

Beans

Of course using Compiz is all well and good, but you can't do this on the live CD. You have to download the NVIDIA Drivers before Compiz will wwork. You can't do this on the Live CD because you have to restart to get the Video Drivers to work!

If orca was this bad when I first started trying out Ubuntu on Edgy Eft (no full screen magnification) I think I would have given up right there.