Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a volume applet for Ubuntu lucid?

Beans

Re: Is there a volume applet for Ubuntu lucid?

An update: When I installed the volume control applet, it showed up the old way, but after reboot it became the new one, so the indicator applet seems to "collect" and replace several applets - which lets me hope again that there is a way to eliminate the envelope...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The Ubuntu manual - Getting started with Ubuntu 10.04 has the following to say about the notification area.

The top panel

On the right side of this panel you will find the notification area, which is similar in function to the “system tray” in Windows, or the “menu extras” area on the Mac OS X menubar. Next to this is the MeMenu, which will display your username (the name you entered during installation)

"The notification area
    Inside the notification area you will find the network indicator, volume adjustment, Bluetooth indicator (if your computer has Bluetooth capability), messaging, and the date and time applets. Some programs will also place an icon in the notification area when you open them.
    Left-clicking icons in the notification area will bring up a list of options, and in some cases right-clicking an icon will also perform an action related to that program. For example, to adjust the volume, simply left-click once on the volume icon and a volume slider will appear. Click the date and time applet to open a small calendar, and then click a specific date to add a reminder.
    New notifications of emails and instant messages appear in the messaging menu applet. When you have a new message, the envelope icon will turn green.
    To remove an applet, right click on it and select Remove From Panel. To add a new applet to a panel, right click in a clear area on the panel and select Add to Panel."

So you can see from the above that the envelope icon actually has a function. It does not do nothing as some have suggested.
    As I also use Thunderbird I did not want this envelope icon as I assume it only works with the standard mail program so I just deleted it by left click and choosing remove from panel. The volume applet was there on installation and disappeared there after I got rid of the envelope icon but I just re-installed the volume icon and that solved the problem. So I now have volume but no envelope..
    Last edited by germanix; May 3rd, 2010 at 01:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    I found this when I was in search of a resolution to the same problem. And it seems to work:

go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications

in the startup tab, look for 'Volume Control' and check it if its unchecked.

If its not there, 'Add' it using the following parameters:

Name: Volume Control
    Command: gnome-volume-control-applet
    Comment: Show desktop volume control

...and then restart....
    had the same problem and this fixed it. thanx

Beans

Germanix, I assume most people who want to get rid of the envelope do so for reasons similar to mine: I do not think that it does not do anything, the problem is that it does not do anything for me. I do not need it, I do not want it.

One very nice thing about Linux is the freedom to customize, the freedom to choose. Tell a joe user he has to use vi, tell people they can have any desktop background colour they want, as long as they want brown - and can not change it...

Btw, you said it is easy to remove items from the applet: On my netbook all items are locked, and remove and lock selections are greyed out. So I am stuck with the one applet that takes up all space available for applets, because it is locked and does not let me unlock it...

This is why some people are not very happy about this new "feature"...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

To remove the envelope but keep the volume & other icons try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge indicator-messages
    To get the missing volume back:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install indicator-sound
    and maybe
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install indicator-application

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12