Thread: wicd and 10.04

Beans

wicd and 10.04

I prefer to use wicd to connect to the internet. However, in the past versions of ubuntu, installing wicd always meant uninstalling network manager. For some reason, wicd did not unininstall network manager in lucid lynx! Will there be a compatibility problem if i have them both? If so how do i completely delete network manager and make sure wicd still works??

Thank you

Beans

Re: wicd and 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by anico View Post
    I prefer to use wicd to connect to the internet. However, in the past versions of ubuntu, installing wicd always meant uninstalling network manager. For some reason, wicd did not unininstall network manager in lucid lynx! Will there be a compatibility problem if i have them both? If so how do i completely delete network manager and make sure wicd still works??

Thank you

I am also interested in hearing about this. What is the reason that you have decided to switch to WICD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well, you installed it. Does it conflict with the network manager?
    To remove the NM: sudo apt-get purge network-manager network-manager-gnome

Beans

ok i'll try to remove it like that.. it's just that i've read some other posts where deleting manually network manager completely cuts wicd off!

Oh and i use wicd because it doesn't ask me for keyring everytime i turn the computer on and allows me to connect to WPA1/2 without hassle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by anico View Post
    Oh and i use wicd because it doesn't ask me for keyring everytime i turn the computer on and allows me to connect to WPA1/2 without hassle.
    I use NM, and it asked for the keyring password only once. I left it empty, confirmed allowing unsafe storage, and never since saw the prompt.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

System Settings -> Advanced -> Hardware: wicd and NetworkManager are already there together, on my system (and *I* did not install either intentionally!)

Fun fact: my network connection had stopped working and to repair that, I had to put wicd at the top of the list in that pane. Go figure...
    Keep out of reach of children

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had to remove network-manager to get wicd working. I think it is a bug not having a nm conflicts,
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had similar problems. Gnome network manager would not connect, removed this and installed wicd - strangely it worked for a very short while and then wicd was even more unpredictable than gnome, it never connected first time, always took 20+ minutes of fiddling and always received the bad password error message.

I found that re-entering the WPA2 password and rebooting was occasionally successful, I also thought that the connection was established more quickly once the laptop had been on for a while, after restarts and reboots it was more likely to connect very quickly too.

I hope now I have narrowed my problem down to the file libnm-glib2 - which was the only (gnome?) networking file left in synaptic. Note this removed empathy and nautilus-sendto-empathy as well.

I also removed wicd from the startup program list. Now wicd connects immediately automatically and apparently invisibly! but if you want the networking icon on the taskbar you can add this but I have now connected many times and it seems to be the solution for me.

Hope this helps someone.