Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Wireless on a Dell Inspiron 1545 in 10.04

Beans

No Wireless on a Dell Inspiron 1545 in 10.04

I just bought a basic Dell Inspiron 1545 and installed Ubuntu 10.04. Everything seems to work fine, except for wireless internet. I tried using the "Hardware Drivers" dialog to install the propreitary Broadcom STA driver, but that did nothing.

I then tried following the advice at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8747122 to install Linux headers, modify the driver's sourcecode, and recompile, but that mysteriously fails as well.

Can anyone please help me how get my wireless working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No Wireless on a Dell Inspiron 1545 in 10.04

Hi,
    This worked on my Dell 1545 with 10.04, I know it's shown in the link you quote but have you tried it? Remembering to re-boot afterwards.

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/11/br...in-karmic.html

Beans

No, I don't think that's the problem. "Hardware Drivers" shows the "Broadcom STA wireless driver" is "activated and currently in use".

I've rebooted, but the Network Manager applet shows that "wireless is disabled". So it's simultaneously activated and disabled. This thing's driving me nuts.

Beans

Any solutions? I'm in the same boat...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have the same problem with this laptop. All drivers are installed and I can get the internet working IF I press the wireless switch (normally F2, but this keyboard is backwards it seems; F2 will switch on/off internet, while Function+F2 behaves as it would on a 'standard' keyboard) BEFORE typing the password. This seems to catch it early enough so that it can scan and find a wireless connection.

If done too late, pressing the button will activate the wireless, but it never will find a connection, even after several hours of being on.

Any ideas?

P.s. Model number PP41L

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

bump

Beans

The solution for me was pressing the "wireless" button to toggle the wireless on. I've never had a PC laptop before with builtin wireless, so it was a basic newbie mistake on my part (why do you need a button to turn wireless on?!).

Once I toggled that, Network Manager finally showed a signal and I could connect using the proprietary driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm on my wired desktop right now so I can't check it out but isn't there something like
    Code:
    rfkill list all
    ?
    And if it shows something is blocked:
    Code:
    rfkill unblock all
    Give me a stable operating system, and I will make it unstable

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cerin View Post
    The solution for me was pressing the "wireless" button to toggle the wireless on. I've never had a PC laptop before with builtin wireless, so it was a basic newbie mistake on my part (why do you need a button to turn wireless on?!).

Once I toggled that, Network Manager finally showed a signal and I could connect using the proprietary driver.

There are times, like riding in an airplane, where wireless devices must be shut-off ( just in case it has some effect on the plane).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Result, it works, press the f2 key once the log in page is there and then log in, never got it to work on my d505, but it works on this inspiron 1545

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast