Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Beans

Exclamation Re: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

I have the same problem. None of the suggestion here or in any of the links worked for me. (Ubuntu 10.10 here)

I have 2 accounts on this laptop, my wife (user1) and me (user2). The network indicator works in her user1 profile, also bluetooth indicator is there and turns bluetooth off. However user2 the network manager is missing so I can not change wifis or turn off bluetooth. Also, When the laptop is turned on, one has to first log on as user1 for the wifi to start and then switch users, else wifi will be off...

This is a major problem and this thread shoud NOT be marked SOLVED as none of the suggestions solve the problem.

Thank you everybody for the effort thou!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by ankur1990 View Post
    Hey Fellas
    then in the terminal type "killall nm-system-settings"
    and then reboot......
    Haven't read what followed, but easier is to edit then just restart the NetworkManager:
    in the terminal type "sudo edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf" change the "managed=false" to "managed=true" and then save it.
    Now type "sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart" and enjoy your icon ...
    This will work for Ubuntu 10.04 unless you messed with your NetworkManager-Installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

WHAT A MESSED UP THREAD!

Can the OP confirm WHAT was the "exact" solution for this issue?
    Is it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=16 ??

Please confirm.

For anyone else:
    Please, do yourself a favor and do everyone here a favor and start YOUR OWN THREAD, PLEASE if you have similar issue.

I'm trying to help someone and I found this thread. I spent more than 30mins now and I didn't even finish reading and can't understand what's going on. Why you afraid of starting new thread?
    It this thread is marked SOLVED from Page2 so why you keep posting?????

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend anyone but it's so hard for someone who's looking for something and can't find it because it's a mess

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe when people open an issue (open a thread) it should be for a single issue, not a laundry list. That way, if people find it via google they don't waste their time by seeing someone, perhaps the original author, kidnapped the thread by saying "I've got this other problem".

That said, my nm-applet icon is gone from the top panel. This on 10.10.

I was trying to add / configure eth1. Over the course of trying to do that the icon changed from a square with the cord at the bottom to twin terminals. It later changed back and then, finally, failed to appear on the panel. When trying to start it manually, it says it is already running and it shows as programs to start at boot time.

amjjawad - yes that fixed it.. works in 10.10 as well.. I've been in software dev and support for a long time and I have to disagree with you. Effectively though I am actually agreeing.

For others that have PRECISELY the same problem do NOT open another thread....and do NOT enter, ME TOO, just follow the thread. If the thread dies, then open your own. When one says "me too" or, ESPECIALLY "I have another problem" then you are just polluting the original thread which get everyone irritated.
    Last edited by wcorey; December 24th, 2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: answer prior posting about solution and rant about thread pollution

Beans
    Distro

may be this site can help you out......http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hey Fellas
    nm-applet problem solved
    Solved it own after searching long.
    Method---
    in the terminal type "sudo edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf" change the "managed=false" to "managed=true" and then save it.
    and then reboot......
    it works for me...
    Try with urs and tell me the result
    dude ty so much, been trying to get this to work for so long!

Beans

I tried all of the above and none worked for me.
    I switched from WICD to Network Manager. My reasons are irrelevant to this thread other than I could not get the NM applet to appear on the task bar.

This is what worked for my by shear accident:

I tried adding the notification applet as others had posted and it did not work for me. I could see tiny lines on the bar where I added the notification applet multiple times.

To clean things up, I removed all of the tiny lines from the task bar.

The last set of lines also removed the HP icon. I thought, "I am making this an even bigger problem!"

So I added the notification applet one more time after cleaning things up. Wala! Not only did the HP icon come up but also the Network Manager came up!

I determined that the notification applet will not work if posted multiple times. Only the first addition of the notification applet worked. Since I already had the notification applet up displaying the HP icon, adding it again was not going to display the Network Manager. It was only after accidentally removing all postings of the notification applet did everything actually work.
    Bill and Nick separated at birth. Only to meet again.

Beans
    Distro

Hey Fellas
    nm-applet problem solved
    Solved it own after searching long.
    Method---
    and then reboot......
    it works for me...
    Try with urs and tell me the result
    Thanks, exactly what I needed.

I created the problem in the first place by selecting static IP instead of letting the installer configure for DHCP.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    [...]

If that doesn't work, just install wicd, it's a different network manager and is often more reliable.

I installed wicd with aptitude install wicd and it brought a network manager icon on the panel rightaway, thanks for that tip.

When I went into config options for wicd, I also found that it detects multiple access points with the same SSID, which is pretty cool since most Network Managers in Linux & Windows don't do that.

However, wicd stumbled with my wpa-psk config so I removed the pkg. Original problem of missing nm icon on panel was solved by changing to managed=true in nm's config file.

thnx.

Beans
    Distro

There are three 'indicator applets' :
    1. Indicator Applet
    An indicator of something that needs your attention on the desktop.

2. Indicator Applet Complete (installed from synaptic)
    A unified applet containing all of the indicators.

3. Indicator Applet Session
    A place to adjust your status, change users or exit your session.

There is also an applet called, "Notification Area"
    It's description is: Area where notification icons appear

The problem with the applets disappearing happens after updates to 10.04. "Indicator Applet Session" gets graphic problems and you have to kill and reload it.

Adding an entry for " nm-applet --sm-disable " to System//Preferences//Startup does solve the problem for the wifi applet.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast