Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lucid (10.04) wont shutdown my computer

Beans

Re: Lucid (10.04) wont shutdown my computer

UPDATE: boot up this mourning same issue I guess all we can do is wait for a fix...nothing has worked so far. I do have sound I fixed that issue by sudo users-admin>Advance Settings>User Privileges>Check Use Audio Devices. I have sound every boot after that even on the ones I don't have no mount! ,no shutdown/restart, no unlock, and I can't edit users and groups

Beans

Same issue except no option to shutdown for me at all. Shutdown panel button greyed out. I don't make it to the three dots part! Also broken is cpu frequency scaling applet. need that to keep my cpu from overheating till i can afford a decent fan!

Some have fixed inability to shutdown by disabling open office quickstarter apparently but its not enabled in my case.

Please some clever person find the answer!

Beans

I have the same issue, but ONLY when i use the terminal command:
    sudo shutdown XX:XX

After typing the password, the terminal prompts the amount of minutes, until ubuntu will shutdown. But the computer will "freeze" at this screen:

The computer fan is running on high speed and the only thing i can do now is pushing the power-button for 5 secs.

Note: All this never happens to me when i shutdown the computer normally via the panel.

I hope this gets solved someday...

Beans

BrokeMahPC Thanks mate yourt a legend, I updated my Bios as per you suggestion and my computer now shuts down. I had the same problem as the other guys >>>> that is I would go to shut down and the harddrive turns off but the computer hangs on the shutdown screen. I too was runing an earlier version of Xubuntu without any problems but decided to upgrade to linux mint 9. I could not fix the problem and decided to switch over to xubuntu 10.04 and still had the same shutdown problem. After logging bugs with linux mint, etc still had no luck. I found this thread tonight, reflashed my bios and bingo problem solvered. Thanks for your help and I dropped a thankyou into you on my bug report. I am now reinstalling linux mint but I assume this problem is with drivers in the ACPI and some BIOS's need reflashing to work with the new drivers????

any way heres a link to my bug report
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/597251

Thanx
    Michael

Beans

I had an acer aspire 5542g and ubuntu 10.04.
    I had a similar problem where shutdown didn't work and instead it reboots the laptop.

I had downloaded the hardware for ATI driver and it is now working for me.

You can find it under System->Administration->Hardware Drivers

Hope it work for you.

Beans

i got this problem after i did the latest kernel update. if i select a previous kernel then it shutdown just fine any ideas. thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Smile Re: Lucid (10.04) wont shutdown my computer

Quote Originally Posted by mohamed_fawzy21 View Post
    I had an acer aspire 5542g and ubuntu 10.04.
    I had a similar problem where shutdown didn't work and instead it reboots the laptop.

I had downloaded the hardware for ATI driver and it is now working for me.

You can find it under System->Administration->Hardware Drivers

Hope it work for you.
    Hi mohamed_fawzy2.
    It worked perfectly for me.
    Thanks.

Michelexub

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Lucid (10.04) wont shutdown my computer

Hi
    I installed the 10.04 release kernel 2.6.32-24 (Lucid) on a Presario 1700 600Mhz 256Mb and I faced the same problem. Os shuts down >drive stops spinning > display stayed active. Pressing on/off button did not result in system start only HD spinning briefly.Holding button for 5secs did also not work (?), unplug power cable did the job, frustrating yes.

I can confirm that adding "apci=force" to the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" worked on this system for me.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash apci=force"

So,...roasted ones for you, colorlessprism

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Colorlessprism,

I had to reinstall 10.04 on my ancient Gateway desktop, and it would not shutdown cleanly, so it checked the disks each and every time I rebooted. Your fix eliminated this problem
    Thank you!
    System76 Pangolin (Panp5) Lucid Lynx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123