Thread: touchpad scroll not working

Beans

touchpad scroll not working

I just upgraded my Gazelle (gazp5 according to the System76 driver) from Karmic to Lucid. This was a clean install. I have run all the updates and the system 76 driver has been installed and run. My problem is my touchpad scroll no longer works. I remember when I upgraded to Karmic I had the same problem, but I do not remember how I fixed it. A quick web search turned up instructions for getting it to work in xubuntu 9.04 http://blog.technicallyworks.com/200...buntu-904.html but I'd like to make sure that this is okay to use for regular ubuntu and 10.04 instead of 9.04. Or if there is another/better solution available.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: touchpad scroll not working

You can go ahead and try those instructions. If they don't work, they're easy enough to reverse.

We'll do some testing on this end too.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Ok so I tried the instructions from the site I found, but when I try the
    Code:
    synclient -m 1
    I get the error:
    Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
    I checked and double checked the fdi file, rebooting after each time. I then followed the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sy...ng%20SHMConfig for enabling the SMHConfig and rebooted again. Still getting the same error.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here you're getting errors because Ubuntu 9.04 still had most of HAL implemented, and now in 10.04, the HAL is completely gone. Make sure you have the option enabled in your Mouse Properties (System > Preferences > Mouse, then go to the Touchpad tab.)
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Here you're getting errors because Ubuntu 9.04 still had most of HAL implemented, and now in 10.04, the HAL is completely gone. Make sure you have the option enabled in your Mouse Properties (System > Preferences > Mouse, then go to the Touchpad tab.)
    Thanks for the info on HAL. I wish it was just an easy mouse/touchpad setting, the mouse properties/touchpad settings are the first thing I checked when I realized the scroll wasn't working. I even deactivated it, rebooted then reactivated it. No joy.

Beans

Found this while searching the web for answers: http://superuser.com/questions/13656...to-get-it-back
    It works!