Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Ethernet On 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face No Ethernet On 10.04 (after openssh-server installed??)

I have an Asus Eee Box 1501B.

Just installed a fresh copy (not upgraded) of 10.04 Lucid Lynx standard distribution.

I used apt-get to install gnome-do, openssh-server, and openssh-client. Then I enabled the Accelerated Nvidia Graphics driver.

After this, I rebooted and the Ethernet connection (not wireless) fails to connect every time. The collectNWData script tells me that no IP is assigned to the interface. (And yes, the "connect automatically" option is enabled.)

Then I tried disabling the Nvidia Graphics Driver again but there's no difference.
    However the Windows OS on the same machine has no problem getting on the network.

The machine is connected to a Linksys router.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Last edited by Multi_User; May 2nd, 2010 at 04:49 AM.

Beans

Re: No Ethernet On 10.04

I had a similar problem, upgraded to 10.04 from 9.10... rebooted etc., no problems. Today, no internet and no "network connections" icon in panel. I am hard-wired via a router.

* Solved the "network connections" problem by opening "Run Application" (Alt+F2), type and run: "nm-applet --sm-disable". The network connections icon now appears in panel.

* Solved "no internet" issue by clicking on icon and check "enable networking". After a few min, have internet.

Do not know enough of Ubuntu to know if this would help, but that's my $0.02.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

WTH, now I cannot even get ethernet access from the Windows install and the LED on the router is not even lighting up for that port.

Time for more debugging over here...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Solved

OK, this has got to be the weirdest night for me in a long time.

I solved it by... powering off the machine AND pulling the plug for 30 seconds, and then booting it back up again.

The only thing I can suggest is that maybe the NVIDIA Chipset Driver install in Linux did something to the hardware (with its integrated Ethernet) that required a full power-down and restart cycle to clear up. Who knows.

I'll add some keywords here so google will pick this up and maybe other people will find it if they have the same problem:
    Ubuntu, Linux, Ethernet, Nvidia, Chipset, Driver, no Ethernet, troubleshooting, diagnostic, ifconfig, Windows 7, Asus, Eee box, EB1501, EB1201
    Last edited by Multi_User; May 2nd, 2010 at 06:57 AM.

Beans

Re: No Ethernet On 10.04 (after openssh-server installed??)

Quote Originally Posted by Multi_User View Post
    ...The collectNWData script tells me that no IP is assigned to the interface. (And yes, the "connect automatically" option is enabled.)
    And it also tells you to post the contents of collectNWDatat.txt in your favorite Linux forum to provide useful information for us who want to help if you don't have success to solve the problem on your own

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Solved

I solved it by... powering off the machine AND pulling the plug for 30 seconds, and then booting it back up again.
    I can mark your thread [SOLVED] - but so can you
    (It's that "teach a man to fish" thing...)
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

The only thing I can suggest is that maybe the NVIDIA Chipset Driver install in Linux did something to the hardware (with its integrated Ethernet) that required a full power-down and restart cycle to clear up. Who knows.

I'll add some keywords here so google will pick this up and maybe other people will find it if they have the same problem:
    Ubuntu, Linux, Ethernet, Nvidia, Chipset, Driver, no Ethernet, troubleshooting, diagnostic, ifconfig, Windows 7, Asus, Eee box, EB1501, EB1201
    Mate, I wish I could shake your hand! I have the eb1501 as well. I installed ubuntu minimal on it so I could have an XBMC box. I wanted to have both wired and wireless connected so my android would work as a remote. After mucking around with wpa_supplicant and networking from the CLI, eventually the ethernet stopped working. I could not get it working again. Even a reinstall of a new OS did not fix the problem!

I was ready to chuck the box out until I stumbled across your post. Many thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Glad to be of help!

Beans

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I was having the same issue with my HP Mini 1010NR using a Marvell 88E8040 controller, I followed your instructions and it works great now.
    Last edited by orlywon; February 10th, 2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not unique to your hardware.

The same problem and solution happened (off and on) on every computer I have used since Lucid. The problem ended up being with Network Manager.

After about 4 months of this occurring intermittently on multiple computers with lots of different hardware, I chucked Network Manager on every computer and now use Wicd instead. No more problems.

You'll see. If your problems ends up recurring a few times over the next few months, try out Wicd.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast