As you can see I'm new to the forums, so I'm not aware of all the etiquette and such. I have for the past day or so been searching for the solution to my problem and was unable to locate a similar problem on the forums, so here I am, asking for help. If there's a better location for the topic to be in or if this is a redundant thread, please relocate or provide a link to the said thread.

My problem actually started when I upgraded from Jaunty to Karmic back when Karmic came out. I was unable to log into a GNOME session, however, I was able to log into failsafe GNOME and I was content. When Lucid came out, I updated immediately, hoping that this upgrade would solve my issue, to my dismay, it worsened it, I am currently unable to even use failsafe mode.

The symptom is that when I boot the computer, I am able to get to the login page, however, when I type in the correct password, it goes through the TTYS and goes back to the login page. I am able to log in through the terminal at TTYS 1-6, however, I am unable to use the GUI. When the wrong password is typed in, it tells me that I have a wrong password in it. Switching over to KDM seems to do something, and I was advised on IRC that it is most likely a GDM error.

Here is the result of the GDM log: http://pastebin.com/XgPUrTxj

Thanks and regards,
Steve