Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless not working after lucid upgrade

Beans

Wireless not working after lucid upgrade

Hi there.

I need help. After upgrading from Karmic to Lucid, no wireless networks are found on my computer—an acer travelmate 5510.

On Karmic, wifi worked flawlessly "out of the box"—no windows drivers or anything needed. I have checked under Administration/hardware drivers; it tells me "no proprietary drivers are in use on this system." Cabled internet access through my wifi router works fine.

I would really appreciate anyone who can help me get wifi up and running under Lucid. Despite having used Karmic for a while, I am relatively new to the inner workings of Ubuntu / linux systems, and really don't know where to go from here.

Thanks
    —eshandy

sudo lshw -C net readout:

*-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:c0200000-c020ffff
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 1
    bus info: pci@0000:06:01.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 10
    serial: 00:1b:38:21:01:6c
    size: 100MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=full ip=192.168.11.3 latency=64 link=yes maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
    resources: irq:21 ioport:a000(size=256) memory:c0300000-c03000ff

iwconfig readout:
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Wireless not working after lucid upgrade

I had a similar problem with my HP laptop when I first installed LL (alpha2).

For whatever reason it had turned my wifi completely off. To resolve my problems I clicked on the wifi logo on the top panel and selected "Create New Wireless Network." It then saw the local wifi networks from my neighborhood. I clicked on mine and it connected.

Also, do you have a open LAN port on your router and a spare RJ45 cable? If so, connect by way of the hardwire and make sure there are no updates for your system.

Good luck!!

Robert

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Robertjm View Post
    I had a similar problem with my HP laptop when I first installed LL (alpha2).

For whatever reason it had turned my wifi completely off. To resolve my problems I clicked on the wifi logo on the top panel and selected "Create New Wireless Network." It then saw the local wifi networks from my neighborhood. I clicked on mine and it connected.

Also, do you have a open LAN port on your router and a spare RJ45 cable? If so, connect by way of the hardwire and make sure there are no updates for your system.

Good luck!!

Robert
    Hi Robert.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, that doesn't cut it in my case. I think Lucid is completely unable to recognize my wireless card, or something. I am not sure.

On the one hand, the lshc -c readout shows that I have an Atheros AR5001 wireless adapter (which is true)

But on the other hand, I have a feeling that a wireless connection should then show up when running iwconfig?!?

I am stumped. At any rate, the network manager applet in the top right shows no options for wireless connections.

I just booted from a Karmic live-CD to check my wifi card. No problems whatsoever. It was instantly recognized, and I was online with no delay. I may just have to revert to Karmic.

At any rate—thank you for taking the time to reply

—eshandy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Just did a quick Google for wifi not working in Lucid and there was a post from March where someone discovered the wifi was turned off in their BIOS after the upgrade. Don't ask me how that happened.

Anyways, it was an Atheros, though a different one. You might want to check that.

SOLVED: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Card not working

Beans

Hi Robert.

Thanks for the reply. I don't see an option in my bios to enable / disable my wireless card.

Iif the wireless card was disabled in the bios, shouldn't it also be disabled when booting from a karmic live-cd? This, however, works like a charm. Also, the lamp for my wireless card can be switched on and off with the wireless network switch, which seems to indicate that there's some sort of connection to the card, even if Lucid refuses to recognize it.

Anyway, thanks again taking the time to respond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did you right click on wireless icon and make sure you are enabled?
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by garvinrick4 View Post
    Did you right click on wireless icon and make sure you are enabled?
    Hey, Gavin.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I tried that. Problem is, no wireless connection options show up when I click the wireless icon. All I have is a cabled ethernet connection, and even that is somewhat sketchy.

My feeling is that Lucid fails to recognize my wireless card (Atheros AR 5001). I tried Ndiswrapper, but to no avail.

I guess I'll have to revert to Karmic, where everything works flawlessly.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Beans

I have now reverted to Karmic. It seemed to be the only way to get my wireless running. Shame. I really liked the looks of the lynx, not to mention the faster boot time.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Problem with wicd

I too am in wireless-less hell. I'm using wicd for my wireless connections. After every previous upgrade I had to recompile it using the instructions provided by Dr. Kurian (I think) in the kubuntu forum, and then it worked. This time that wasn't sufficient. It appears that wicd detects the wireless network but isn't sending the correct password. That might not be so bad except that it never offers me an opportunity to specify the password.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Wireless not working after lucid upgrade

Similar problem upgrading to 2.6.32-21 (UBUNTU 10.04) from 2.6.31-20.

Reading some Debian information I see that the propitiatory drivers were REMOVED
    in the upgrade. You can fix it by

apt-get install firmware-linux-free firmware-linux-nonfree

But I have not tried this myself because now I can't get to the net. I will have to
    use another machine or use an ethernet cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast