Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless not working after lucid upgrade

Beans

Re: Wireless not working after lucid upgrade

I just installed Lucid on a Presario V2000. I checked my settings in preboot and my wireless is enabled there. Whenever I configure my network it just says "you are now disonnected". However when I sudo lshw it shows me the following:

*-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: 00:14:a5:64:20:83
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

How can I change this to ENABLED?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I'm having similar issue. I am using a Samsung NP-N310 netbook. Wireless worked just great with Ubuntu 9.10 (though I had to use ndiswrapper to get it to work). When I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 the wireless would stop detecting wireless networks most of the time. The wireless is enabled in Ubuntu and in the BIOS. I have the computer set to dual boot to windows 7 starter and the wireless works fine in windows. I put ubuntu 9.10 back on and get wireless fine again. I do a clean install (Not an upgrade) to 10.04 and wireless again stops working. This is not consistent though. Some times the wireless works flawlessly in 10.04 on the netbook. I'll boot it, it works, I reboot, it stops working. Or it wont work and I'll reboot and it will work again. Some times it takes 1 reboot, sometimes 30+ before the wireless will work again. Other days I can reboot it numerous times without any problem. Seems very flacky and it is only doing this in Ubuntu 10.04.

I did the "sudo lshw" as well and got the following results:
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    Product: Realtek Semiconductor Co.,Lrd.
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co.,Lrd.
    physical id:0
    bus info: pci0000:02:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_masster cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl819xE latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=802.11bgn
    resources: irq:16 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0100000-f0103fff

Someone please help, I don't want to go back to 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Re: Wireless not working after lucid upgrade

How I installed Lucid Lynx (10.4) UNE:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...22#post9203922 [#136]

Network connections are working.

HTH...
    "You only live once: let's make life better for each other."
    Asus EEE 1000 Dual-Atom 1.6 GHz.Ubuntu 12.10
    Registered Linux User #193975

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I followed the steps you did. Unfortunately it did not resolve the issue I am having on my Samsung netbook. Thanks though!

Any other suggestions out there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What the HELL is the problem with Ubuntu wireless!!!!???? How in GOD'S name can it really be possible that we are STILL battling with this so far down the line!!!??? After struggling on and off with dodgy wireless since Intrepid I FINALLY got to a stage where it's working and low and behold the last update to 2.6.32-26-generic has again gone and stuffed everything up!!!!! This is seriously undermining the usefulness of Ubuntu. This issue is way past it's sell-by date. IT'S TIME TO SORT OUT WHATEVER DODGY BUILD PROCESS IS IN PLACE THAT STOPS UBUNTU WIRELESS FOR CERTAIN CARDS\ROUTERS FROM WORKING WHEN NEW KERNELS ARE RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Robertjm View Post
    Just did a quick Google for wifi not working in Lucid and there was a post from March where someone discovered the wifi was turned off in their BIOS after the upgrade. Don't ask me how that happened.

Anyways, it was an Atheros, though a different one. You might want to check that.

SOLVED: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Card not working
    EUREKA! That was it. I spent a day going round and round with other things wasting my time. Now I remember I upgraded the BIOS but didn't imagine it would turn off the wireless. Thanks Robertjm,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12