Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empathy and Facebook account

Beans

Question Empathy and Facebook account

Hi everyone. I just did a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04. I've never used Empathy before (I used Pidgin in Kubuntu 9.04) and I can't seem to get the Facebook account to authenticate. I get an authentication failed message every time. I've removed the account, recreated it, rebooted, etc. and nothing. I am using my accounts name instead of my e-mail address, but I've tried both and neither is working. I'm pretty much a newbie, especially in the Gnome interface, so I'm looking for some help with this. Anything you all can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Talking Re: Empathy and Facebook account

Okay, all I needed to do I guess was log into Facebook through Firefox with my new account name instead of my e-mail address and then try connecting with the Empathy account. That did the trick.

Beans

Re: Empathy and Facebook account

actually in lucid lynx facebook asks you to create a badger or a username has anyone created a badger ??if so kindly tell me what that is...
    Last edited by msambenny; May 1st, 2010 at 05:58 PM.

Beans

It's not working for me. I've chosen the damn username and all it does is smacks me with an authentication failed thing.

Tried every variation of username besede the badger, passwords and facebook settings. I don't get it.. to me this is a bug in Empathy rather than something else.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasonic View Post
    Okay, all I needed to do I guess was log into Facebook through Firefox with my new account name instead of my e-mail address and then try connecting with the Empathy account. That did the trick.
    Thank you for your insight. I wish to confirm the above.
    Somehow you need to maybe poke facebook and link the username to the login process.

All who have trouble logging in through empathy:
    • Click on Applications->Accessories->Terminal
    • type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and press ENTER. This will update your empathy.
    • Logout of your desktop at the end of this process.
    • Login to Ubuntu.
    • Open Firefox and Login to facebook website using your email address as usual.
    • Click here to set your "username" What does this mean? This means that you have to set a new username which is not the email id you use to login.
    • Once you get this username, you should be able to access your facebook page by typing www.facebook.com/yourusername
    • Logout of facebook
    • Login to facebook using your newly created username as the login name and your usual facebook password
    • You should be able to login successfully
    • Logout
    • open empathy, press F4 and add a facebook chat account. In the username field, only fill out the newly created username, and in the password field fill out the usual facebook password.

That should do it !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile Re: Empathy and Facebook account

nucleuskore, thanks for the tip!
    I was also struggling with this after my fresh lucid install.

It now works like a charm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasonic View Post
    Thanks a lot for the tip!

Same for me. I was struggling with identification until I changed my login in the browser (Chrome in my case). So all you really need to do is Logout of Facebook in the browser, then Login again with the new account name.

Then I wasn't sure how to add contacts, but they are added automatically. I found out by displaying the disconnected contacts!

That's cool!

JT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thx

Beans

Empathy still is searching and making the same error ..
    Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit is the OS

I did that what u suggested a few times ... no effect

Beans

Thanks

Manish B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast