Thread: fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 on Lemur hangs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 on Lemur hangs

I have a Lemur Ultrathin laptop from System76. Today I tried to perform a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04. After backing up all my files, I rebooted, pressed F2, and changed the boot order so that the USB CDROM drive was first in order. I then booted the Ubuntu 10.04 desktop CD from the external drive (a Samsung USB CDROM which System76 sent me along with the Lemur). I chose the option to erase the entire hard disk and replace it with Ubuntu 10.04. The install proceeded only until about the progress meter read about 5%, then the window disappeared and I was faced with a blank screen with the purple Ubuntu wallpaper, a mouse cursor and nothing more. I tried this a couple of times with the exact same result. So now I'm stuck - my machine is unbootable and I have no way to install 10.04 as far as I can tell. What can I do?

adam

Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 on Lemur hangs

Download here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu
    I think you will get fresh install without error.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by plus2plus
    Download here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu
    I think you will get fresh install without error.
    If I read these two posts correctly, I think plus2plus is implying that you have a corrupt live CD and need to make another. That might have to be done with a friend's PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't think the CD is corrupt, because I've used it to install Ubuntu 10.04 on another computer with no problem.

Has anyone else successfully made a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 on a Lemur using an external (USB) CDROM?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by adamdngle
    Has anyone else successfully made a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 on a Lemur using an external (USB) CDROM?
    I don't have a Lemur, but I have used an external USB CDROM to do a clean install on my panp4n several times with no problems. (I had an accident that damaged the hardware of the CD drive in the computer beyond repair.)

I hope someone else has some other suggestions, because this should be working if the CD worked on another computer.

Good Luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good news: I was able to upgrade my Lemur by creating a bootable live flash drive with Ubuntu 10.04 and installing off of that. That worked fine. I never got an installation from the external CDROM to work, unfortunately.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am so glad you got things fixed. This was bugging me, because I have the kind of mind that starts analyzing: This person is having trouble doing what I did successfully. What is different? Computer hardware; brand of DVD burner. Yes. Technique, sounds like No. I even dreamed about it. I will probably be wondering if you had an equipment problem for awhile. Then someone will post another puzzle and the brain will start analyzing something else.

At least you got your install. All's well that ends well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adamdingle View Post
    Good news: I was able to upgrade my Lemur by creating a bootable live flash drive with Ubuntu 10.04 and installing off of that. That worked fine. I never got an installation from the external CDROM to work, unfortunately.
    After installing the system76 driver, can you check and tell us if the following work on the Lemur:

1. The Integrated Webcam
    2. The Function keys that reduce/increase brightness.

Thanks!

Beans

adamdingle, any updates??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

1. The Integrated Webcam
    Yes.
    2. The Function keys that reduce/increase brightness.
    Yes.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC