Page 5 of 112 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

@Hanoc; try System -> Preferences -> Mouse -> Accessibility -> Simulated secondary click, it's the closest so far. Credit someone earlier in the thread (or maybe even in the earlier thread) for spotting that.

@Plippo; good thinking, but I did try that. I think it might really be dead (err... except when it's not because some netinst ISO talks to it beyond the grave). I just have to decide whether that really matters enough for a device like this to make it worth returning, as everything else seems to be fine...
    Last edited by Confuseling; May 11th, 2010 at 08:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@Confuseling: I guess hanoc means pressing the rotation button for a longer time...
    Your Ethernet issue is strange, it can't be a hardware failure if it works for the ISO.

@dusjagr: I have created a new version of the touchrotate script where you don't need to set the output and input devices any more. The new script and the instructions are now in the first post of this thread.

Beans

D'oh.

Beans

Has anyone been able to get more than 1 workspace in Lucid? I think I have only 1 as I can't seem to switch between workspaces. Is there something I need to set?

@Hangman228: Thanks for the camera tip. Installed build essentials and everything worked! Now I'm on the ground, cool!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

I am very much indebted to both Plippo an StCh. The ubuntu community owes its wonderfully communal and supportive nature to people like them. (If only governments were like this)

My first test of the machine's potential for painting:

Already I've been taking notes on this machine, and used the webcam to practice for a play, and used it to read some books, write a paper.... This is a useful little machine, and I feel that linux has greatly extended its capabilities and efficiency. My first go with linux, and I'm overwhelmed by the results.

Yay!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hey, just for reference, the T91MT does not use eGalax driver - it needs evTouch (I think - gotta look back at my info). Anyway, I did try this and the calibration util says something like "can't find device"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@mrspacklecrisp: Wow, really nice painting! That's what happens when you give your users the freedom to do what they want with a device and go beyond the usages intended by the manufacturer. Wouldn't it be a waste to use such a wonderful device only for watching videos of cats doing cute stuff?

@tlimsisnw: Are you using normal Ubuntu or the Netbook Edition? I think in a normal ubuntu, there should already be at least two workspaces, you can switch with Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right. But you can also change the number of workspaces. Just press Alt+F2 and enter gconf-editor. In the program that opens, you can change the number of workspaces, depending on whether you use desktop effects or not.
    If you use desktop effects: Go to /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options and set hsize and vsize (NOT number_of_desktop) to the horizontal and vertical number of desktops you like.
    If you don't: Go to /apps/metacity/general and set num_workspaces to the number you like.

@kgingeri: There are two levels of drivers: a kernel driver and an X driver. For the kernel driver the T101MT uses eGalax and the T91MT uses MosArt, which should already be preinstalled in Ubuntu 10.04. For the X driver, you can choose between evTouch and evdev. For the T101MT, only evdev seems to work, but I don't know which one is best for the T91MT. In any case, the calibrator provided here only works with evdev. If you have problems, maybe you can look at one of the T91MT threads or create a new one because the T101MT and the T91MT have pretty different hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Plippo View Post

@kgingeri: There are two levels of drivers: a kernel driver and an X driver. For the kernel driver the T101MT uses eGalax and the T91MT uses MosArt, which should already be preinstalled in Ubuntu 10.04. For the X driver, you can choose between evTouch and evdev. For the T101MT, only evdev seems to work, but I don't know which one is best for the T91MT. In any case, the calibrator provided here only works with evdev. If you have problems, maybe you can look at one of the T91MT threads or create a new one because the T101MT and the T91MT have pretty different hardware.

@Plippo: Thanks for the heads up! You are right, I do remember seeing evdev as well. I'll likely go that route.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks

@Plippo I am using cellwriter now. Being used to the android software keyboard I was expectinc that the screen available resized to get out of the way of the keyboard. Of course I was expecting a little too much! (for now)

@Confuseling, yes Plippo was right. Thanks anyway!

Now that everything is more or less working I think it's time to start over again. At the time of purchase I was almost convinced to replace the hard disk with a SSD one as described here. But after reading @lorenzoferrara post I'm willing to give SD cards a try. For me reducing the use of the hard drive (and so battery usage) would be a top priority and I think I could have enough with a 16Gb card with only occasional access to the regular hard drive.

@lorenzoferrara, wich sd card did you use?
    The 30Mb/s of the SanDisk Extreme* look promising, but I do not have any experience on fast SD cards and I don't know if the speed is real. They also don't state if the speed is in writing or reading nor any other details.
    I guess that 30MB/s would be more than the actual 7200RPM hard drive quite less than a regular SSD. The ambiguous 30MB/s makes it a little difficult to compare anyway.

Does anyone have any experience on them? Should I ask this somewhere else?

* the prices are totally outdated in this store in spain, for example, the prices are much more reasonable.
    _Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere_ Carl Sagan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Could anyone say exactly what all works and what doesn't work on their T101MT? I am thinking about picking one up but want to know Ubuntu will work with it before I do so.

~Jeff

Page 5 of 112 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast