Page 9 of 112 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

@Plippo: Nice work. Very impressive start for two finger nails multitouch. Can you make a control to allow user to specify the pressure level desired for multitouch detection? Or better still, autodetect the user's normal/preferred finger (nail) pressure for touch operations? That might help to alleviate the high pressure required to activate the multitouch scrolling/zooming/etc. When the screen is rotated to portrait, there seems to be more lag in the multitouch response during scrolling and zooming, possible bug somewhere or just because of going thru the mouse layer? Also, would be nice to include some acceleration to scroll in response to twofing "flicks"/quick sweeps. Still can't quite control the right click effectively for highlighting a portion of text and do a cut or copy operation by right click menu, is there a trick to this? Thanks for your efforts once again. They're definitely making my T101MT much more useful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@Plippo: I experienced ubuntu became a little more unstable with the daemon, but it may be also hardware's fault. It happened also before that some programs hang and I had to reboot. Could it be because I have double boot in grub and only one partition for ubuntu, without swap partition? I didn't want to erase hidden windows partitions. Should I exclude some program in the ubuntu boot? I have regular gnome ubuntu version, with compiz active (and this without problems).
    Oh, and brightness is always a little less brigth than windows. There must be a way to solve that.
    Thank you again for all.

Beans

Howdy folks.

Great work going on in this thread, really taking full advantage of the hardware's potential.

In terms of what is operating with the drivers and solutions provided here:

The camera
    The solution to fix the rotation of the camera provided here did not work for me, I've bypassed it for now by just rotating the input with gucview.

The touchscreen
    All working perfectly. Testing the multitouch daemon provided by Plippo now, but I want to get some more results before giving full feedback.

The microphone
    Untested as of yet.

All but a few fn function keys
    All the function keys that I need work and the for the ones that don't I've merely tied them to Super key shortcuts.

The rotate button
    I'm having a bit of a problem with this, it refuses to lose its linking with gnome-screensaver. Reassigning the key with the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog didn't work and I've searched through the gnome configuration options for any sign of where it is still attached. Ideally I'd like to link it to an Esc function so that I can exit fullscreen browsing when in touchscreen mode. (Possible now with the multitouch right click however).

Simulated right-click when using the touchscreen alone
    This worked fairly well, with the implementation of multitouch it becomes less of an issue.

Maximum brightness
    The brightness might be max, I can't be sure as I haven't booted Windows in a looong time in order to test, however more brightness would be appreciated as sunlight has a habit of straining the eyes.

Support in gimp
    Works well.

A special touchscreen edition of mypaint
    Works well. (Also a wicked application, can't believe I haven't tried it before).

An accurate calibration tool
    Besides initial teething issues with the calibration tool (last point would not configure) which have gone now, no problems.

I would also like to ask whether anyone knows anymore about the slowdowns when the screen is rotated because of the Intel graphics drivers?

Other than that, Ubuntu and the efforts of the individuals in this thread (special thanks to Plippo) have really unlocked the hardware's full potential.

[EDIT]: Additional - I tried putting twofing command on the startup program list and gnome appears to fail to load properly until killing the process from a console, this is only a minor issue as I can happily load the daemon manually upon startup, I just figured that this behaviour might be of interest.

Also, my desktop enjoys an odd bug/feature where X starts the screen rotated once anti-clockwise without the touchscreen input being rotated as well. This wasn't difficult to workaround (I put Plippo's screen rotation script in the startup programs with the variable set to normal) but once again I figured that this is somewhat strange behaviour.
    Last edited by atomp; May 25th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@tlimsisnw: The problem with the pressure is that this device doesn't deliver touch information when the screen is not pressed hard enough. From the few tests I have done under Windows I think I can say that there you also have the same problem. I haven't set any threshold for the pressure, it always recognizes gestures as long as the screen recognizes both fingers. But maybe I can modify the daemon so it ignores when one finger is released for a short time, which may happen when you don't press hard enough and currently breaks gesture recognition.

The reduced speed when the screen is rotated is probably again the Intel driver's fault and not specific to the multitouch daemon as the calculations required to adapt the touch coordinates to the rotated screen are not very heavy, the problem seems to be the re-drawing of the screen done by the Intel driver.

@riccardo.depalo: Do the hangs happen with specific programs? And can you still switch to a text console with Ctrl+Alt+F1? A known problem is that when you are performing a gesture like rotate or zoom and manually press a key at the same time that is also required by the gesture, that key can get stuck.

The click of the right-click action always appears at the center between the two touch points. So, if you have selected a piece of text, touch the screen with your two fingers so the selected text is in the middle between them, that should work. Please also notice that a short touch with the two fingers is enough, a longer touch could activate another gesture.

@atomp: Yes, for some reason the daemon blocks when it's started too early. If you want to add it to the startup applications, just use twofing --wait as the command, this causes it to wait for a few seconds before it's loaded and fixed the issue for me.

Beans

@atomb, i did have the same problem with the screenlock with the rotate button. My solution was to change the gconf key /desktop/gnome/lockdown/disable_lock_screen. It is not the better solution, but it works for me.

Beans
    Distro

@Plippo: simple applications like update-manager hanged, but I was not using the daemon in that case. I also tried to put the command "twofing" in the startup, before you explained the --wait issue. The result was that the eeepc didn't finish to boot, and hanged with the plymouth wallpaper and no gnome. At that point, I couldn't even open a terminal.

Oh, did anyone try the application provided by wcale in this thread to adjust brightness with gma 3150?
    http://newyork.ubuntuforums.org/show....php?t=1397371
    Last edited by riccardo.depalo; May 25th, 2010 at 07:25 PM.

Beans

@riccardo

I have tried the setpci command and can confirm that it does indeed set full brightness, a significant improvement.

Just make sure to use ff rather than 00 as I did first time (lost all display, oops).

Beans
    Distro

I can confirm that using setpci, I can also increase the brightness of my Eee PC 1005HA. As its screen is generally brighter than the T101MT, I didn't notice that it didn't have full brightness before. So it seems this isn't a problem with the T101MT alone, but also other Eee PC models. This is a regression from Karmic.

Manually setting the setting via setpci is a temporal solution, but the brightness changes back as soon as you use the brightness control keys or gnome-power-manager changes the brightness, so for a permanent solution this bug has to be fixed.
    Looks like I was wrong. While it like this on my Eee PC 1005, on the T101MT you can also use the brightness control keys to get to the old value after you have set it using setpci.

Thanks Riccardo for the hint!
    Last edited by Plippo; May 25th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

So, to sum it up: To make full brightness work after every boot, open the file /etc/rc.local with root rights:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    ABOVE the line that reads exit 0, add the following line:
    Code:
    setpci -s 00:02.0 f4.b=ff
    Now save the file.

This way, when you boot up, the screen will start with full brightness and you can control it normally using Fn+F5/F6 on your keyboard.

Before you do this, please make sure that for your model 00:02.0 is the correct address by typing in a terminal:
    Code:
    lspci | grep "VGA compatible"
    The result should be a line that reads:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller

Beans
    Distro

I'm happy I gave you a good hint! I tried also and saw an improving of brightness.

@Plippo: system seems more stable, since I installed twofing with --wait on boot. I also tried multifinger zooming with a flash application to read a newspaper online and, though a little sluggish (no more than in windows), it worked. Then I tried to use the newer libdrm 2.4.20 - es explained in
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1484137
    because I had a similar error log during boot, and it seems it worked.
    Last edited by riccardo.depalo; May 26th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.

Page 9 of 112 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast