Page 51 of 112 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

@Aldamuhu: I've tried netbook remix but actually changed to gnome version of Ubuntu, because I'm more used to it and you can easily hide or move panels if you need more space. It seemed working enough well, at least the Lucid version, because the Maverick one I tried later was only an Alpha and I can't tell how it works now. There is a new interface, called Unity, on the left, useful for touchscreen, to launch applications.

The stylus works well with the multitouch package made by Plippo, sensitive to different levels of pressure. There are some bugs that developers are trying to get fixed, and there is still something to do, in order to make anything work well. Anyway, it seems to me better than Windows, in the end, especially with the new Intel Linux driver.
    Last edited by riccardo.depalo; October 6th, 2010 at 05:31 PM.

Beans

Cool Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Ok it looks like nobody uses this with all it's features. Maybe the hardware is not fully compatible. I won't buy this machine, without knowing if it will work for me.

Beans
    Distro

@Plippo: I confirm that if I turn on compiz desktop effects, also "normal" choice in metacity, twofing zooming desappears in browsers nautilus and text viewers. There must be something wrong there, or it is just because there is no real graphic card. Regards.

@Aldamuhu: sorry if I wasn't useful, anyway I'm satisfied with T101MT.
    Last edited by riccardo.depalo; October 7th, 2010 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DheathNone View Post
    I made it to one command for my own pleasure:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if (xrandr --verbose | grep "Transform:  1.25" -q)
    then
        xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1x1
    else
        xrandr --fb 1280x1024 --output LVDS1 --scale 1.25x1.7
    fi
    I hope it will help someone else too.:
    the above works a treat, but is there a way I can have similar to scale to this
    xrandr --fb 1280x1024 --output LVDS1 --scale 1.33x1.25
    and back to 1:1 again.

cheers kev

I tried to make this but did not revert to 1:1 wide screen
    #!/bin/bash
    if (xrandr --verbose | grep "Transform: 1.33" -q)
    then
    xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1x1
    else
    xrandr --fb 1280x1024 --output LVDS1 --scale 1.33x1.25
    fi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@riccardo:
    Really strange, I am using Compiz too and have no problem. Can you zoom with Ctrl+Scroll wheel? That's exactly what twofing sends when you perform the zoom gesture.

I created a patch-less evdev package for Maverick and uploaded it to a PPA. Could you please test it? If it works, we can add it to the instructions. (I also plan to add other packages to the PPA, but I have to change them before so they can be built automatically by launchpad instead of my manual build script)
    The PPA is: https://launchpad.net/~plippo/+archive/t101mt
    If you add the PPA to your package sources, a new Update for evdev should be available which will be the working version for the T101MT.

Beans
    Distro

@Plippo: your evdev package works, with all gestures working in twofing, zooming, kinetic scrolling included. It seems not different from the previous I had installed, with your two files added, anyway it is certainly easier to get it from PPA. I go on having some problems with compiz, but I noticed that, if zooming hangs on browser, I have to turn off desktop effects in metacity and turn on compiz with compiz --replace. In this case, zooming go back working, with all effects enabled.

When it happens, sometimes on reboot, that zooming hangs, even if I added the command copiz --replace on startup, I notice that I still can zoom in/out with ctrl-/+. But, I don't know why, sometimes I have to turn off effects in metacity and enable them directly on terminal.

Thank you, it is a great idea to use a PPA!

Beans
    Distro

@Plippo: it seems I have resolved the compiz related problem. In order to load compiz at boot, I wrote a script called compiz.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    sleep 5
    metacity --replace ccp & compiz --replace
    made it executable:

Code:
    sudo chmode +x compiz.sh
    added at startup:

Code:
    ./compiz.sh
    And now twofing seems to work properly at each boot.

@All: do anybody else has the same problem with zooming not working with compiz?

Beans

@Kevrox: If you do:
    xrandr --verbose | grep "Transform:"
    You'll see that:
    "Transform: 1.329987 0.000000 0.000000"

Seems that the scale is not exact.
    Use 1.32 instead.

By the way why is the right clicking not done like on Windows side but whit the twofing? (You hold => right click)
    Is it patented or something?
    Last edited by DheathNone; October 10th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@Plippo and @All: As the new Ubuntu 10.10 is released, I duplicated the wiki and I am editing a new one, for Maverick Merkaat only: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T101MT-MAVERICK

Work is still in progress... I added Plippo's PPA, deleted two finger with the touchpad which seems no more working, made some integrations and changes.

I think it should be easier this way. Or the dupliction get some of you more confused? Any ideas, help or suggestions are, of course, welcome.
    Last edited by riccardo.depalo; October 10th, 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@riccardo:
    Too bad I can't reproduce the zooming problem although I use compiz.

But thanks for adding the information about the PPA to the Wiki article. Still I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to have only one article, as both are identical for the most part and maintaining two separate articles is more work.

I have now also uploaded two new packages to the PPA, one is the common touchscreen support package which brings suspend support and touchrotate, the other one is a package which takes care of activating the correct boot options for the special keys to work, which had to be done manually before. With these additions, the instructions can be shortened a lot for Maverick. So if you are okay with that, I would rewrite the T101MT page a bit, add the new installation instructions using the PPA and move the old instructions to a section called "For Lucid users". Then the T101MT-MAVERICK article could be deleted. But if you disagree, don't hesitate to tell me.

Page 51 of 112 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast