Page 50 of 112 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Quote Originally Posted by DheathNone View Post
    I made it to one command for my own pleasure:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if (xrandr --verbose | grep "Transform:  1.25" -q)
    then
        xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1x1
    else
        xrandr --fb 1280x1024 --output LVDS1 --scale 1.25x1.7
    fi
    I hope it will help someone else too.

But has anyone seen any good workspace changer for gnome/ubuntu that is big enough for the touchscreen or could it be possible to change the workspace by the twofing?

mate that looks interesting, what does it do before I copy and past, I have 2 launch buttons on screen for scale and un scale.

I have the Workspace Switcher 2.30.2 on the side panel and just touch it as as needed, nothing fancy.

12 hours later
    could not wait to try it so done, this also got me to see how to make .sh files run and how to make them be able to run from 1 icon. This little script is great as it does both scale and unscale.
    Last edited by Kevrox; October 4th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Beans

Last edited by psykatog; October 9th, 2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: fixed!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by riccardo.depalo View Post
    @DHeathNone: yes, you can change workspaces with twofing, in the last version 0.0.6b. You can try compiz cube, with four workspaces, calibrate the speed of the rotating cube, and change workspace with two fingers, from left to right and from right to left. It's funny.
    This would be nice but I would like the save the battery life and cpu time for more important things than compiz. Also in the end it is just a distraction.

Would this be so hard to do for the basic gnome?
    I was thinking of something like sweeping the thouch screen with two fingers to the direction that I would like to go (left/right and up/down). It would be also nice if this would over write the "go left/right in a certain application" feature. So, basically this would alway change the work space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

DHeathNone said: This would be nice but I would like the save the battery life and cpu time for more important things than compiz.
    Well, cpu is not so much involved by compiz, maybe battery life is. Anyway, I'm sure you noticed there is a workspace changer in gnome lower panel, if you have installed the gnome version of ubuntu. If you don't like it, there are many workspace changers for linux. There is an applet from google, wsnamelet. There is another one for the Cairo dock. It depends on which desktop environment you use.
    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by riccardo.depalo; October 5th, 2010 at 08:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@riccardo:
    Well, I admit I have never used apt-get -b. In any case, you also have to change the version number and remove the patches from the package. I'll try out the Debian package later, I'm pretty sure a current one should also work in Ubuntu.

@psykatog:
    If you only tested the drivers from this thread, all you need to do is to go to the synaptics package manager, search for the term "egalax", remove the corresponding packages, then download the right ones and install them again. To remove all calibration information, simply delete the file /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/97-touchscreen-calibration.conf using the following command:
    Code:
    sudo rm /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/97-touchscreen-calibration.conf
    If you changed the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, it's probably best if you also remove that file. After a reboot, everything should hopefully work then.

If you tried other things like the proprietary EETI driver, it's more difficult to get rid of them.

@DheathNone:
    When you swipe your fingers on the desktop, twofing simply emits Ctrl+Alt+Left and Ctrl+Alt+Right key presses. As they are also default in Metacity, this should also work when you don't use compiz (unless you have changed the key shortcuts). At least it works for me. The only problem is that you have to perform the gesture when the Desktop has the focus, thus no other window is active. Of course twofing can be modified to send these keycodes in all applications, but then you lose horizontal scrolling. Currently, you have to adapt the source code of twofing to achieve this: In profiles.h, simply change the scrollLeftAction and scrollRightAction of all profiles (also the default profile) to the value used in the profile for the window id "desktop_window" and compile twofing then. In the future, I plan to make the profiles configurable using configuration files, so you no longer have to change the source code.

Beans
    Distro

@Plippo: I think anyway apt-get -b is unuseful because I tried it but it builds automatically the deb files with the patches, as it comes from the repository. I tried to get rid of the patches but something went wrong, because I didn't change the version number, maybe.

The source with apt-get source seems different from this source here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...2.3.2-6ubuntu3

it seems there are no patches here... or am I wrong?
    Last edited by riccardo.depalo; October 5th, 2010 at 04:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@riccardo: On the page you linked you find the original sources (....orig.tar.gz) and the patches (....diff.gz) as separate archives, not as a whole as apt-get source gets it, or did I just not see it?

Oh, and I tried the Debian packages. The problem is that they have a lower version number, so apt will always try to update them with the Ubuntu packages. I guess the only way is to manually create packages, I will hopefully be able to take care of this before the 10th. Maybe I set up a PPA for this.
    Last edited by Plippo; October 5th, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@Plippo: so, installing that source from that link without the patches, with make and sudo make install would be a right way to do it or apt-get would go on installing its own version of evdev?

by the way, I was able to reproduce the zoom problem: it's compiz related. When I abilitate desktop effects, zooming desappears in browsers and pdf, doc viewers.
    Last edited by riccardo.depalo; October 6th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Plippo View Post
    @DheathNone:
    When you swipe your fingers on the desktop, twofing simply emits Ctrl+Alt+Left and Ctrl+Alt+Right key presses. As they are also default in Metacity, this should also work when you don't use compiz (unless you have changed the key shortcuts). At least it works for me. The only problem is that you have to perform the gesture when the Desktop has the focus, thus no other window is active. Of course twofing can be modified to send these keycodes in all applications, but then you lose horizontal scrolling. Currently, you have to adapt the source code of twofing to achieve this: In profiles.h, simply change the scrollLeftAction and scrollRightAction of all profiles (also the default profile) to the value used in the profile for the window id "desktop_window" and compile twofing then. In the future, I plan to make the profiles configurable using configuration files, so you no longer have to change the source code.
    Thanks! The code was easier to edit to to do that than I thought.

I just wish that after a few bigger versions updates this would work on every linux-running-MT-devices.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Hi all,

I'm planing to buy a Asus Eee PC T101MT, but I'm unsure if all will work under Ubuntu. On my search through Google and in this forum I couldn't find any user experience reports about that. I just found https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T101MT, which looks like some handicraft work is needed.

Does anybody run the recent Ubuntu Netbookremix on the Eee PC T101MT? Does multi touch work with it? How fast is it responding? I'm especially interested if the pen recognition is good, because I would mainly use it the multi touch to write along while listening to university lectures. For this a handwriting to fonts like Arial would be great. On the product description it is mentioned, that the multi touch can remove the heel of the hand while using the pen, which sounds good as the hand doesn't have to fly over the screen while writing, especially when writing for a long time.
    But I guess this is a feature of the proprietary windows drivers Asus made, is there something like that for Ubuntu? Hope you get what I would like to know.

<Edit:> I would rate my Linuxexperience somewhere in the middle. Meaning I'm not completely new to it. I'm using Ubuntu for some time know, I also did a LPI-Certification, tbh. Maybe this point is interesting for giving answers to my questions. </Edit>

Thanks for your answers.
    Regards
    Last edited by aldamuhu; October 6th, 2010 at 10:20 AM.

Page 50 of 112 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast