Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Hello, the screen brightness on Ubuntu is much lower then on Windows 7.

Also, I've installed Ubuntu on an SD card, so I can shut down the hard drive. I use 'hdparm -Y /dev/sda' to put the drive to idle. Anyone knows a way to do it automatically on boot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@lorenzoferrara: You can put this command into /etc/rc.local so it is executed on every boot.

@mrspacklecrisp: The output is very interesting. It shows that the eeepc_laptop module is loaded in karmic while in lucid, I can't even load it manually. I've also found a bug report about this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/505452

There seems to be a solution: Open a terminal, enter
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    and change the line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"
    Then call
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    and reboot. For me, this fixed the hotkeys and the screen is really brighter now.

When you've changed this and rebooted, you can also use the Sytem › Settings › Shortcuts utitity to assign the volume keys back to Fn+... if you have changed them before. You can also create a new entry using "add" and setting "gnome-system-monitor" as command. Then, you can assign this to Fn+F9. You can create also a new entry with command "sh home/yourname/touchrotate.sh LVDS1 10 toleft" and assign it to the rotation button (the first time you do this, the screensaver starts, but that's okay). With this, the only keys that don't work are Fn+F4, Fn+F7 and Fn+Space.
    Last edited by Plippo; May 7th, 2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: More instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To get gnome-power-manager to properly recognize the backlight, to get desktop notifications for a change in brightness, and (atleast for me) to get maximum brightness, add the option acpi_backlight=vendor.

Make /etc/default/grub look like this:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
    Then sudo update-grub again.

@Plippo: My wacom has been dead a week or two now. Years of use has frayed and loosened the cord, and I don't have the money for another, so it doesn't matter to me whether I can use a wacom with Mypaint. Still, there are others who want the option. Since they can't get support for both at the same time, maybe it could be an option to be turned off or on... I don't know. I don't pretend to know about such fancy things. But unless you're a Mypaint user too, I don't want you to worry about it. I can nag some other people, since it works so well

Beans

Has anyone attempted to restore the T101MT to its original state?

I understand that if I use the restore disc I'll lose the restore partition, that doesn't bother me.

Just seeking some reassurance that if I wipe out the partitions on it, it'll still boot the disc if need be - and I have no understanding of EFI bootloaders. [ignore this question - see below]

Thanks.

[P.S. Thanks for the sources, Plippo!]
    Last edited by Confuseling; May 9th, 2010 at 11:00 AM.

Beans

@Plippo : Can't wait for your daemon ! When do you think it will be finished ? One week ? One month ?
    Thanks a lot for your work !

Beans

In the last days I had no time to thanks Plippo for his work, patience and efficiency to make Ubuntu and our tablet T101MT work better.

Your last kernel fix solved the mouse problem, and it came when I was a bit desperate. I was about to reinstall Ubuntu, but it wasn't necessary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@mrspacklecrisp: Okay, I'll look what I can do, but don't expect it tomorrow. You can nag as many others as you like

@Hangman228: It should take a few weeks. It already kind of works, but currently it can only send the same events to every application. It needs to recognize the running application and send specific events. And it currently breaks applications with pressure sensitivity like GIMP or MyPaint, so it'll have to automatically be deactivated when such an application is active. I also have to work on the gesture recognition code, currently it sometimes performs multiple gestures at once which can confuse applications. So don't expect it to work perfectly at the beginning.

Beans

Revised question -

Having searched eeeuser a bit harder, I'm assuming that the EFI partition is just for the boot booster. Is this correct? Does the system not, in fact, use EFI at all?

So presumably, if I format and start again from the disc, I'll lose the restore partition, but it'll recreate the boot booster. What about Express Gate?

Any clues helpful... Bit lost here.
    Last edited by Confuseling; May 9th, 2010 at 11:02 AM.

Beans

thanks for the brightness fix. saved my day, especially now that the sun finally came out again...

four questions/remarks

1. touchscreen rotation
    is there a way to fix the device id of the eGalax. whenever i restart x and/or plug in new input devices, the id seems to change randomly. i used the touchrotate.sh script to flip the screen and input, but allways need to change the id and check. so its a bit difficult to put a launcher on a shortcut.

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Logitech USB Receiver id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ eGalax Inc. USB TouchController id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=16 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation id=17 [slave pointer (2)]

2. speed after touchrotate
    are you also experiencing massive speed issues after the rotations? pretty much everything gets slower, dragging around windows, and most of all the input itself when used in a graphic program, GIMP or something, the touch input react muuuuuch slower. anyway to fix that?

3. audio plug
    when i plug in a headphone into the audio plug, the internal speakers are not turned off and no sound on the headphone. i need to manually change it in the Sound Preferences -> Output -> Connectors

is there a way to use the internal switch of the plug?

4. microphone
    anyway to fix the internal microphone. i can record something, but input volume is almost minimal and lots of noise. Checking the Sound Preferences -> Input i get a tiny peak on the level meter when flicking the microphone with my fingers.

Notes: plugged in microphones/headsets work perfectly though the input plug. and no manual switching needed, as mentioned above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@dusjagr: This fixes the microphones. http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...on-ubuntu.html

Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast