Page 10 of 112 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

I'm relatively new to linux, but I just installed UNR 10.04 on my t91mt, and can't for the the life of me get the touchscreen to work. I have followed the advice of the OP and also tried installing the evTouch driver, and nothing seems to work (all the drivers and stuff install as they should, but my touchscreen refuses to even register touches).

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated

Beans

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

I have a big problem with the twofing Plippo software. When I run twofing from konsole (I use this program in Ubuntu NBR), it makes the system very unstable. I can't access to the desktop or another program, but I always can do Crtl+Alt+F1. With top command I have this output:
    Code:
    Xorg -> 69% CPU
    twofing -> 24% CPU
    If I kill the twofing process everything works well again.
    Besides, if I run twofing from Alt+F2 option, I can run chromium, and it works well. But I can't run nautilus, evince, firefox, konsole, or gwenview: the system hangs and I need to kill the process to make the system to work well again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@ebix: This thread is about the T101MT, which has very, very, very different hardware than the T91MT, which again has different hardware than the T91. Please open another thread or post to one of the already existing threads about the T91MT. This one here is about the T101MT only.

@minhato: That doesn't sound good. Have you tried starting the daemon in the console with
    Code:
    twofing --debug
    That should give some output and show you whether the daemon is hung. What window Manager do you use? As you're using konsole, are you using KDE?

Beans

Hello all....just picked up my T101MT last week! Thanks to Plippo and everyone else who has done so much work figuring out this machine....this thread is a life-saver!

Mrspacklecrisp - I viewed the link that you found containing a fix for the microphone issue (quiet, static) using a backports alsa module. I installed this but it didn't resolve the issue...Do I need to still upgrade alsa using ricotz's PPA? I noticed that thread was originally for Karmic (which used an older version of ALSA) so I'm not sure if that suggestion is applicable.

Otherwise, there is only one lingering issue I've run into, and I would appreciate any insight you fellow T101'ers can provide: The software is gtk-recordmydesktop. Micropohone issues aside, video lags behind the sound rather severely (behavior is same using an external mic). At first I thought this might be due to the relatively slow atom proc, but the problem seems consistent for me even with very low framerate/sound quality settings.

Thanks in advance,
    TT

Beans

Plippo: I did some further tests and found that twofing on screen scrolls are generally more laggy than the two finger trackpad scrolls. Also, I found the two finger scrolling (whether screen or trackpad) response is acceptable for the Normal screen orientation, but not for for the other 3 orientations. So it does seem that the screen driver is at fault. Any ideas if that could be patched?

Also, thanks to Riccardo and Plippo, the setpci cure is finally giving me some good screen brightness.

Occassionally, when I switch screen orientation, the entire screen blacks out. Can't get it on with repeated presses of the button linked to Plippo's touchrotate.sh or any keyboard presses. Did anyone experience this? Only way to get the screen on again is to do Fn+F1 to put the system to sleep/suspend, then relogging again (without rebooting). Probably a bug somewhere?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by ebix View Post
    I'm relatively new to linux, but I just installed UNR 10.04 on my t91mt, and can't for the the life of me get the touchscreen to work. I have followed the advice of the OP and also tried installing the evTouch driver, and nothing seems to work (all the drivers and stuff install as they should, but my touchscreen refuses to even register touches).

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated
    @ebix: try this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1237709
    There is stuff there for you (I have a T91MT also) - the display driver here will work on the T91M fine, but I've reverted to Karmin 9.10 for other compatibilities. (Welcome to the forum tho )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker View Post
    Otherwise, there is only one lingering issue I've run into, and I would appreciate any insight you fellow T101'ers can provide: The software is gtk-recordmydesktop. Micropohone issues aside, video lags behind the sound rather severely (behavior is same using an external mic). At first I thought this might be due to the relatively slow atom proc, but the problem seems consistent for me even with very low framerate/sound quality settings.
    For what its worth, this issue seems to be software related...I upgraded another laptop From Jaunty to Lucid today, and the issue appears on that machine as well. Under Jaunty, gtk-recordmydesktop had been working just fine.

Beans

@Plippo
    I don't know what's happened, but I'm executing twofing --wait from startup applications and everything is OK. I can run firefox, evince, nautilus,etc, and top command is normal. And all the gestures works well. I can execute twofing from konsole or Alt+F2 too. I can't repeat that failure, because everything works fine.
    Have you tried starting the daemon in the console with twofing --debug
    Yes, I have tried, but nothing strange occurred. Simply, when the sistem was hung, there was no new output.
    What window Manager do you use? As you're using konsole, are you using KDE?
    No, I'm using Gnome, with Ubuntu Netbook Launcher. I usually prefer KDE desktop and applications to Gnome ones, but for little screens like this the Ubuntu Netbook Launcher is more usable.

The only difference that maybe explains this magical resolution of the problem, is the installation of compiz. I think that after this, the daemon works well.
    Last edited by minhato; May 29th, 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: fix spelling and sintaxis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So, I can record sound, but the microphone still does not work in skype. Maybe there is some ways to fix this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So I finally went out and ordered myself a T101MT and I have Ubuntu all installed on it and everything appears to be working except I cannot get the screen calibration to work correctly... I installed the calibration program from the first post and ran it (which did something, the mouse now moves instead of staying in the upper left hand corner) but the mouse is nowhere near where I am touching, any suggestions?

Also just to be sure I have the right calibration program - it is just four points it asks me to press on right?

Regards,
    ~Jeff

Page 10 of 112 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast