Thread: HELP, URGENT QUESTION: How to CHANGE BOOT DEVICE on SYSTEM76 RATEL, 64BIT MACHINE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face HELP, URGENT QUESTION: How to CHANGE BOOT DEVICE on SYSTEM76 RATEL, 64BIT MACHINE?

My SYSTEM76 RATEL F2 key, when pressed during bootup, only allows minimal change of

SingleProcessorMode/somethingelse.../SystemDate/etc

but NOT the BOOT DEVICE!!!!

I want to change the BOOT DEVICE from harddrive to CD or to USBFLASH. How do I do this?

I already tried F8, F12, but I can not get to any other "Adanced BIOS" webpage.

Thank you for competent, timely help!!!!

A Stymied System76 customer,
    Richard Pan, 774 450-7451
    32 Greenleaf Street
    Malden, MA 02148

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HELP, URGENT QUESTION: How to CHANGE BOOT DEVICE on SYSTEM76 RATEL, 64BIT MACHINE

A maddening problem. There seems no logic to what works and you have tried the most common, but I have one machine here that uses the escape key and another that uses F1. Go figure.

I suppose if none of this works -- and the boot screen does not suggest a key -- then we go into the BIOS and change the boot order? Awkward but it would work I think.

One of the System 76 support techs probably knows which key stroke(s) brings up the boot menu.

Yo Thomas!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HELP, URGENT QUESTION: How to CHANGE BOOT DEVICE on SYSTEM76 RATEL, 64BIT MACHINE

The Ratel's used F2, I do believe. Once you get into the BIOS splash page, just tab over to Boot Order.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC