Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trouble enabling wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: trouble enabling wireless

yep, somehow, it works, or well, it used to work until my pcmcia slot broke
    Last edited by neonathon; May 1st, 2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: i forgot to add more words

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I feel as if my problem is different than the others that are being posted.

My wireless worked until 4:00am last night; 10.04 had been installed and was in use for over a week.

No updates were performed between the time it worked and the time it did not.

Although this seems to me as if it is unrelated--my daughter who was using the computer last night ran the battery down to nothing.

I am sure I am doing something stupid.

Right now I am creating a bootable cd to see what will happen but my connection is slow and it looks like I still have another hour to wait.

New question if it doesn't work--is there anyway to downgrade to ubuntu 9.10 using apt-get?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by audit View Post
    Although this seems to me as if it is unrelated--my daughter who was using the computer last night ran the battery down to nothing.
    This might be a vital little clue.
    This may sound silly, but right click the network manager icon, and make sure wireless is enabled.. Ubuntu will disable it when it runs critically low on juice.

Also make sure if you have a hardware button to enable/disable wifi that its enabled. Your laptop may do the same.

New question if it doesn't work--is there anyway to downgrade to ubuntu 9.10 using apt-get?
    No. you can not downgrade unfortunately

Beans
    Distro

my wireless now is listed enabled--originally it was not; but I cannot seem to get any wireless--there is a button on my computer but it is always blue which I assume means that it is on.

Beans
    Distro

The problem was obviously the result of my battery being run down to nothing which both disabled my wireless--also my computer disabled my wireless.

To get it to connect again I had to press the button on my computer which allowed me to enable wireless through ubuntu--and then for some reason I had to reboot?

I am still not completely sure why or what happened, but I am back. Any insight would be appreciated.

Note to anyone who reads this don't let you battery run down to nothing.

Beans
    Hidden!

I suspect its ubuntu getting confused if the laptop turns off the wifi without the button being pressed, but thats just a guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12