Thread: GRUB 10.04 MacBook /dev/sd3 (NEED HELP!!)

Threaded View

Beans

Re: GRUB 10.04 MacBook /dev/sd3 (NEED HELP!!)

In one of my many attempts to install 10.04 I tried the sda option.. I ended up trashing my first partition and I had to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X. I could boot into OS X but only by holding down the option key.

This is my installation solution and you all are welcome to refine the process:

As always a current backup is critical as your mileage may vary..

1. Install rEFit first and make sure it is working. You will have to start your Mac twice before it shows up.
    2. In OS X use Bootcamp to make a Windows partition; make this the size you want for Ubuntu and your swap. I chose 40 gigs.
    3. After that, boot the Ubuntu 10.04 live CD, start the partition editor, gparted.. Its under System > Administration.
    4. Use gparted to delete the partition you made in OS X. It should be the last partition on the disk as it follows the HFS+ partition (OS X). Still using gparted make a new primary partition; for the file system choose NTFS; for the label type in BOOTCAMP. There is no need for space between your HFS+ partition and this one.. I chose the new size to be 512 MiB. Apply the changes and exit gparted. .
    5. Start the Ubuntu 10.04 installer from the desktop; when it asks you to prepare the disk space choose specify partitions manually.
    6. Select the partition you just created it should be /dev/sda3 > choose change > use as NTFS> check format > mount point = /windows > select ok.
    7. In the free space choose add, in the new partition size adjust it down so you have room for a swap file. I shrunk it down by 4096. (4 gigs). > Use as Ext4 > mount point = / click ok.
    8. In the remaining free space choose add > use as swap > check ok.
    9. If your system is like mine you will soon have these partitions, sda1 (the EFI partition), sda2 (the OS X partition) sda3 (the NTFS partition), sda4 (the Ext4 Ubuntu partition) and sda5 (your swap partition).
    10. When you arrive at step 8 the last dialogue box of the installer before you commit to all of this select the advanced button and choose to install the grub boot loader to /dev/sda3 Your NTFS partition. Rock and roll
    11. Reboot when the install is complete and in the rEFit menu choose the partition tool and resync if necessary.
    12. Power down your computer.. again a choice in the rEFit menu.
    13. Power up and you should be good to go..
    Last edited by jacques4x4; May 6th, 2010 at 05:14 AM.