Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB 10.04 MacBook /dev/sd3 (NEED HELP!!)

Beans

Re: GRUB 10.04 MacBook /dev/sd3 (NEED HELP!!)

In one of my many attempts to install 10.04 I tried the sda option.. I ended up trashing my first partition and I had to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X. I could boot into OS X but only by holding down the option key.

This is my installation solution and you all are welcome to refine the process:

As always a current backup is critical as your mileage may vary..

1. Install rEFit first and make sure it is working. You will have to start your Mac twice before it shows up.
    2. In OS X use Bootcamp to make a Windows partition; make this the size you want for Ubuntu and your swap. I chose 40 gigs.
    3. After that, boot the Ubuntu 10.04 live CD, start the partition editor, gparted.. Its under System > Administration.
    4. Use gparted to delete the partition you made in OS X. It should be the last partition on the disk as it follows the HFS+ partition (OS X). Still using gparted make a new primary partition; for the file system choose NTFS; for the label type in BOOTCAMP. There is no need for space between your HFS+ partition and this one.. I chose the new size to be 512 MiB. Apply the changes and exit gparted. .
    5. Start the Ubuntu 10.04 installer from the desktop; when it asks you to prepare the disk space choose specify partitions manually.
    6. Select the partition you just created it should be /dev/sda3 > choose change > use as NTFS> check format > mount point = /windows > select ok.
    7. In the free space choose add, in the new partition size adjust it down so you have room for a swap file. I shrunk it down by 4096. (4 gigs). > Use as Ext4 > mount point = / click ok.
    8. In the remaining free space choose add > use as swap > check ok.
    9. If your system is like mine you will soon have these partitions, sda1 (the EFI partition), sda2 (the OS X partition) sda3 (the NTFS partition), sda4 (the Ext4 Ubuntu partition) and sda5 (your swap partition).
    10. When you arrive at step 8 the last dialogue box of the installer before you commit to all of this select the advanced button and choose to install the grub boot loader to /dev/sda3 Your NTFS partition. Rock and roll
    11. Reboot when the install is complete and in the rEFit menu choose the partition tool and resync if necessary.
    12. Power down your computer.. again a choice in the rEFit menu.
    13. Power up and you should be good to go..
    Last edited by jacques4x4; May 6th, 2010 at 05:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I had an almost identical problem when installing karmic on my MBP5,3
    When you use the largest free space install option, for some reason grub gets put in the wrong place (for me it created a whole new partition just for grub that wasn't bootable). The easiest solution is to just use manual partitioning and specify where you want grub.

My partition map:

dev/sda1 efi
    dev/sda2 Mac
    dev/sda3 ext4 plus grub
    dev/sda4 swap

Works fine.
    Hope this helps.

Beans

I tried that first... but for some reason I was only able to boot into Lucid once... then always the second time I would get the error message "no operating system" strange.. for me grub seems to be happiest on its own tiny NTFS partition. What I tried to do was use NeddyDownUnder's approach and make it work without Win7.. hence a tiny ntfs partition. When I left that out I would have to boot with the live CD chroot in and force install Grub onto the Ext4 partition. I would be only able to boot into Ubuntu once.. The tiny NTFS partition method seems to be bullet proof... and I really did not want win7
    Last edited by jacques4x4; May 6th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.

Beans

Hey everyone, I am pretty stuck. After spending days in the IRC rooms to no avail, practically getting booted out of #grub (pun intended), I finally stumbled across this.

My Macbook Pro 4,1 has a 500GB drive that looks like this:

/dev/sda1-EFI-fat32-200mb
    /dev/sda2-HFS+-OSX 10.6.3
    unallocated-200mb
    /dev/sda3-NTFS-WINDOWS7PROX64
    /dev/sda5-ext4-UBUNTU studio x64
    /dev/sda6-linux swap

Note the lack of an sda4. I don't know why this is. This is just what I see in Gparted.

I had refit installed and working, everything worked great.

Until the update to Lucid....

I ran update-manager -d from terminal, everything went fine. and then when I restarted...

grub: error: symbol 'image_puts_' not found

I tried booting to a Live CD to resinstall grub, followed the steps, but I cannot get it to install;

NOTE YOU NEED A 64bit LIVE CD IF YOU WANT TO GET PAST CHROOT STEP ON 64 BIT MACHINES.

I get the error about blocklists and force. I'm a moron, so I tried force, i tried putting grub on /dev/sda4 i tried /sda. I got nowhere. Someone please help me.

Thanks. I'm _pg_ on IRC if anyone wants to get in touch

Beans

have you tried putting grub on your NTFS partition.. sda3 ?

Perhaps a more important question... do you have all of your data backed up?

Beans

Not yet, which is why I don't want to reinstall, but that is next on the list, probably do that tonight. (I'm pretty sure I dodged a bullet trying to install using --force and having at least osx still work haha)

Beans

Good luck.. let us know how it goes... I had success putting grub on the NTFS partition.

Beans

Do you also use rEFIt? does it take you to grub from windows being selected in rEFIt and from Ubuntu? This seems like a hack which makes me think it will make it even harder to get support next update :/

Beans

I do. and it works well. It is an easy install and uninstall. I used the Mac disk image.

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Note that this does not appear on the first boot. you have to power down osx a couple of time.. be sure to check out the faq.

Also after your install go to refit partition tool to be sure that you are synced up.

refit is very easy to uninstall before the "next update"
    Last edited by jacques4x4; May 6th, 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Beans

I am not communicating this very well...

Quote Originally Posted by patg7590 View Post

I had refit installed and working, everything worked great.
    I was asking if you were using rEFIt. I already use it without issue. I just have a botched GRUB now. Someone in IRC thought the same thing though. Perhaps I worded that poorly.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast