Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My mouse and keyboard are not working(in Ubuntu 10.04)

Beans

My mouse and keyboard are not working(in Ubuntu 10.04)

Today I trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 but when I installing 10.04 from CD my keyboard works only in the startup menu when choosing whether to install or check for disk errors. but when I get to the actual installation and need to choose time zone, partitions and such, both keyboard and mouse are not working.

My pc configuration is: motherboard intel d102gcc2, processor Pentium D 2.8Ghz, ram 1gb. keyboard a4tech(ps/2),mouse:eyesee(ps/2) optical

waiting for reply

Beans

Re: My mouse and keyboard are not working(in Ubuntu 10.04)

I upgraded my Ubuntu to lucid lynx this morning and the keyboard stopped working. It seems like a lot of people are having similar problems. I was thinking of waiting for some time in case someone fixes the problem. I'm using my other operating systems in the meantime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: My mouse and keyboard are not working(in Ubuntu 10.04)

Just wanted to add that I'm having the same problem. Did the upgrade from Karmic to Lucid, keyboard and mouse lock up whenever I either click on my user name or highlight the name and hit enter.

I was able to boot into rescue mode. I chose repair packages and let the OS do it's thing. Then I selected resume normal boot, entered username and password and "startx" and the mouse and keyboard worked.

The I couldn't get on to the Internet. NIC seemed to be working, status showed eth0 connected. IF config showed NIC was working, but trying to ping the router was unsuccessful.

Anyway, when I rebooted I had the same lock up of the mouse and keyboard as before.

Asus Mobo
    P4 @ 3Ghz
    4Gb ram
    Dual boot into XP.

I suppose I'll have to try a full install from scratch, or revert to Karmic if the Gurus are unable to find a fix.

Beans

Similar problem here. A few of the keys work, most don't.

Mine starts up with GRUB LOADER and it beeps for a while, then it makes me select which version to run. Keyboard doesn't work properly in any version

This stinks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffystones View Post
    Just wanted to add that I'm having the same problem. Did the upgrade from Karmic to Lucid, keyboard and mouse lock up whenever I either click on my user name or highlight the name and hit enter.

I was able to boot into rescue mode. I chose repair packages and let the OS do it's thing. Then I selected resume normal boot, entered username and password and "startx" and the mouse and keyboard worked.

The I couldn't get on to the Internet. NIC seemed to be working, status showed eth0 connected. IF config showed NIC was working, but trying to ping the router was unsuccessful.

Anyway, when I rebooted I had the same lock up of the mouse and keyboard as before.

Asus Mobo
    P4 @ 3Ghz
    4Gb ram
    Dual boot into XP.

I suppose I'll have to try a full install from scratch, or revert to Karmic if the Gurus are unable to find a fix.
    I have exactly the same problems.

For now, I will stay with 9.10...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RedNight View Post
    I have exactly the same problems.

For now, I will stay with 9.10...
    My system was worked well with ubuntu 9.10, not keyboard and mouse locked up. When I install the ubuntu 10.04 from downloaded i386 Desktop in CD, I re-format the partition, from clean to install. However, the keyboard and mouse will be hanged when I boot up and need to re-boot several time then use the keyboard and mouse normally. I don't know how to proceed ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Any suggestion?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffystones View Post

Asus Mobo
    P4 @ 3Ghz
    4Gb ram
    Dual boot into XP.

I have the same computer hardware as you..
    P$ @ 3GHZ
    Asus Mobo
    1.7gb RAM
    Ubuntu Only

My wireless and mouse and any keyboard dont work..... and my pc's usb ports are not getting detected + my NIC does not work and my Partitions (NTFS) are not showing

Beans

Unhappy Re: My mouse and keyboard are not working(in Ubuntu 10.04)

I downloaded the latest 10.04 version & try to upgrade, in the installing process several times my keyboard become freeze & mouse worked fine.After complete the installation non of my USB devices detected & every time I plugged any kind of USB device the system was freeze.Really sad to say that I had to switch back to the previous release 9.10.
    Last edited by Hartha; May 2nd, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I haven't had time to experiment more, but from the looks of the other replies this would seem to not be an isolated problem. With all of the millions of possible hardware and software configurations I suppose there are bound to be problems.

Since I'm typing this I want to say I'm not asking this to be critical, just inquisitive. But how can something so basic to the operation of a PC work fine in release after release, and all of a sudden be "dead in the water"? Again, I haven't a clue to writing and developing software. But a "laymans explanation" of what happens in these kinds of situations would be greatly appreciated for us non-programmers.

A further note, my mouse is wireless, Microsoft USB. But my keyboard is still good old fashioned PS2.

And last, is there a quick way to "revert" to 9.10, or do I just wipe the partition and start over?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast