Thread: Google maps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Google maps

Here's an interesting problem. Here in the UK I use google.co.uk, when I try and use google maps on the UK site it doesn't work, you enter an address and nothing happens, but when I use google.com the American site it all works fine using the same browser, Firefox.

All the other browsers work fine, Opera, Chromium using the .co.uk site.

It all seemed to go wrong with the latest update of Java, but I can't imagine that's the problem if it's working on the .com site and not the .co.uk site.

It's obviously not a major problem, it more like one of these little itches you get and can't seemed to find any relief
    Last edited by valvegrid; May 1st, 2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Google maps

I'll mark as solved. If it helps anyone else I cleared the cookies from the google folder in Edit>Preferences and all has gone back to normal. It must have been a duff cookie somewhere

Beans

Wink Re: Google maps

Quote Originally Posted by valvegrid View Post
    I'll mark as solved. If it helps anyone else I cleared the cookies from the google folder in Edit>Preferences and all has gone back to normal. It must have been a duff cookie somewhere
    Don't be embarrassed. I've hit exactly this problem. I ran firefox --safe-mode and all worked file. I tired disabling all plugins , no joy ...then reset all prefs to default . Google maps started working ... just now I realised they ONLY work for maps.google.com ... not for maps.google.co.uk .... so in the light of your note , I'll check what cookies I have for .co.uk

... I had 1 cookie for maps.google.co.uk I deleted it restarted firefox ... same behaviour maps.google.com work fine, maps.google.co.uk fails (it none of the buttons work)
    Last edited by graemev; May 2nd, 2010 at 08:10 PM.

Beans

So I just did this... got a link for 'pointing at the top of big ben:

Given this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12789&t=h&z=17

Hand edit it to get:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12789&t=h&z=17

Open two tabs (.com and .co.uk)

They are totally different ... checking again I see I have a cookie for google.co.uk
    called PREF ... so I wonder if some pref has got set which i breaking maps.google.co.uk

See attached files ...only 1st 15k (site limits) less thane one line co.uk was 172K .com was 224k
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by graemev; May 2nd, 2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: want to attach the HTML generated:

Beans

Well it WAS a cookie of soem sort ... removed one at time .,.. go joy ... gave up and removed all the ones for site google.co.uk ...this fixed it , maps.google.co.uk now works.

FYI I'll attach the list of cookies I had JUST before it got fixed:
    Attached Images Attached Images