Thread: Evolution not prompting for password (keyring?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Evolution not prompting for password (keyring?)

I have installed Ubuntu three times now, and I'm running into same problem all the time, both with Karmic Koala (9.10) and now also Lucid Lynx (10.04):

When I configure Evolution for IMAP access to my GMAIL account, it never prompts me for a password. Instead, I guess Evolution tries to connect without any password and fails every time. Switching to Thunderbird didn't do the trick either, so I think it might have something to do with the Keyring daemon. My Internet connection is fine, as I can access my account under other operating systems.

Things I've tried so far:

• "Forget passwords" in the evolution menu
    • Forcing shutdown of evolution and deleting the ~/.evolution folder (as suggested by https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=221112)
    • Accessing the keyring and deleting the default keyring
    • Removing the password of the default keyring
    • Creating new users with or without automatic login (to see if the login keyring might be the problem)
    • Examining debug console and stdout/stderr of evolution (no entries except for the connection failure)

This is truly driving me nuts, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Evolution not prompting for password (keyring?)

I am haveing the same problem with pop3.
    Every time I startup and open evolution it asks for Accessing the keyring password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@Rodney9: Have you taken a look at the following thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=832675

In short, you can try:

• setting the password of the default keyring to none: go to Accessories > Passwords and Encryption keys
    • Turn off default login for your user (Administration > Login Screen), or, if this doesn't work, try creating a new user without default login (Administration > Users and groups)

My problem, however, is exactly the opposite: Evolution never prompts me for a password.

Ideas still welcome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So, continuing my monologue: I fixed the problem.

It was not the keyring at all, but my configuration was erroneous. Evolution does not ask for a password if it cannot connect at all.

To get Evolution working with GMAIL, do the following:

1. Try sending an e-mail. If Evolution prompts you for a password and is successful in sending the mail, it is not a keyring problem (make sure you have the right configuration as well - mostly TLS).
    2. Review your configuration. For GMAIL, make sure you have SSL enabled and you're using DIGEST-MD5 as authentication mechanism (i think pretty everything else than the default Password will work)
    3. Deactivate and reactivate your account in the preferences menu.

Hope this helps!