Thread: Netnook Remix 10.04 and video on Eee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Netnook Remix 10.04 and video on Eee

Hi,

I just installed Netbook Remix 10.04 on an ASUS 1101HD and like the version before it it plays video very jerkily. I mean, I see 1 or two frames per second, the ones in between are dropped. The sound for the video is normal.

I thought the Remix was "remade" to run with the Atom processor but I guess not with the Intel 900/950 support (graphics) chip that comes with the Atom.

I know my computer can run video as I installed Jolicloud Linux previously and it ran quite well. Jolicloud has been recompiled for the Atom processor and support chips.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there some software switch that needs setting or drivers downloading separately?

-- Zoot Nerper

Beans

Re: Netnook Remix 10.04 and video on Eee

I believe your netbook has the infamous GMA500 Poulsbo graphics chip that is not well supported by Linux. Buyer beware.

Lots of reading material here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks Smowpine,

Looks like I'm going back one Ubuntu :}

-- Zoot

PS Should I tag this as "solved"? lol

Beans

Keep following the topics on these forums, I'm sure it is only a matter of time before someone finds a good solution to GMA500 on Lucid. It is a shame Intel does not have better support for this chip on Linux, but we are a clever and resourceful bunch.