Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any disadvantages to using alternate iso?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: any disadvantages to using alternate iso?

I use the Alternate CD to install text-only Ubuntu, which is useful if you want to build up from just Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    It does. The Desktop CD "installs" Ubuntu by pretty much copying over the live session (and then downloading and configuring some language packs). The Alternate CD installs Ubuntu from scratch by unpacking and then installing each individual package.
    Wow, didn't know that - and there was me continually using the Alternate as I thought it was faster!

Doesn't it work out about the same since the Desktop CD has to do that loading of the live session at the start which is a similar amount of work?

J
    How to help yourself|Ubuntu Guide

* Think you've found a bug? Get it reported using apport-bug.

Beans

A while back the LiveCD did not allow you to install grub in any other place but the MBR. Is that still true or have I been using the alternate CD for no reason the last few installs.

Beans

You can use 'Expert Mode' to custom tailor your install. This includes enable root account and etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    A while back the LiveCD did not allow you to install grub in any other place but the MBR. Is that still true or have I been using the alternate CD for no reason the last few installs.
    You can install other than the MBR. At the last screen click the Advanced button to specify where to install Grub.

Quote Originally Posted by jvc26 View Post
    Wow, didn't know that - and there was me continually using the Alternate as I thought it was faster!

Doesn't it work out about the same since the Desktop CD has to do that loading of the live session at the start which is a similar amount of work?

J
    No, it doesn't work out the same at all. It takes considerably more time to load up, unpack, and then install each individual package. Loading up the live session takes one minute. In fact, the Desktop CD gives you the option to go directly to installing without loading the full live session first (it loads up a kind of minimalist live session that has only the installer application running).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12