Thread: Installing Lynx on VirtualBox OSE Hangs on Boot

[SOLVED] Installing Lynx on VirtualBox OSE Hangs on Boot

Hi All, I am planning on playing with the lynx on VirtualBox for a while just to do some test and maybe update my installation notes before moving everything but just can't get it to work.

Environment details:
    Kernel: 2.6.31-21-generic
    Machine: Compaq Presario B1200, 3 GB RAM, 14 GB available disk space
    VirtualBox: VirtualBox OSE 3.0.8_OSE r53138

Problem:
    After starting up the virtual machine and reaching the purple screen (where a keyboard and accessibility icons are displayed at the bottom part), everything just goes black with an un-blinking cursor on the top-right.

I already tried recreating the virtual machine, removing and creating a number of times, and I've also tried reinstalling VirtualBox but the problem still persists.

Anyone encountered this before? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by angheloko; May 1st, 2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: False alarm. My impatient self was just hungry.

Re: Installing Lynx on VirtualBox OSE Hangs on Boot

Brainfarts! It's alive.

I guess it's just me and my impatience. My li'l ol' slow friend here decided to take his time doing his processing. Anyway, after 5 mins or so, or just after preparing myself some nuggets, lo and behold, the purple fiend awaits my login.

Beans

I'm seeing similar behavior. Disabling ACPI seems to speed things up. (Per http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27416). I'm installing now.

I am running the same version of Virtual Box OSE, but on Kubuntu 9.10.

Hi Casey,

Actually I am experiencing excruciating slowness and unresponsiveness but after disabling ACPI like you said, everything speeded up like normal.

I've reinstalled and is testing now.

Thanks for the info!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by caseyboardman View Post
    I'm seeing similar behavior. Disabling ACPI seems to speed things up. (Per http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27416). I'm installing now.

I am running the same version of Virtual Box OSE, but on Kubuntu 9.10.
    Thanks for the fix!