Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 painfully slow

Beans

10.04 painfully slow

I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 and it is nearly impossible to use now because of just sheer SLOWNESS. Karmic ran fast and flawlessly with multiple applications open at once, but after upgrading to Lucid it can take several seconds (10-15) to complete even the smallest tasks like opening the gnome menu. Scrolling in firefox is especially slow (and annoying). Compiz as well is not usable due to slowness.

Beans

Re: 10.04 painfully slow

Quote Originally Posted by sherbert View Post
    I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 and it is nearly impossible to use now because of just sheer SLOWNESS. Karmic ran fast and flawlessly with multiple applications open at once, but after upgrading to Lucid it can take several seconds (10-15) to complete even the smallest tasks like opening the gnome menu. Scrolling in firefox is especially slow (and annoying). Compiz as well is not usable due to slowness.
    Whats going on in resource monitor?

Beans

I'm having the same issue on my laptop. I updated yesterday (I should know better by now) and now it is very sluggish.
    Both CPU's are hovering around 70% use. Top shows xorg taking ~20% CPU followed by indicator-applet and indicator-sound-service both taking another 10% each.
    It has 2 AMDX64 TL-56 procs and 2 GB ram - even though system monitor only reports 1GB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@ Sherbet, what are your system specs? Are you using 32bit or 64bit Ubuntu?

@ elj4176, are you using Ubuntu 32 or 64bit?
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans

uname -a shows 64 bit

Linux pilsner 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:09:38 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

As soon as I killed the indicator-applet my cpu's use dropped significantly. I also run pidgin instead of empathy so maybe that was causing the issue with that applet?

Thanks for the quick response.
    Last edited by elj4176; May 1st, 2010 at 02:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: 10.04 painfully slow

Did you reboot the computer at least once?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by elj4176 View Post
    uname -a shows 64 bit

Linux pilsner 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:09:38 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

As soon as I killed the indicator-applet my cpu's use dropped significantly. I also run pidgin instead of empathy so maybe that was causing the issue with that applet?

Thanks for the quick response.
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure indicator-applet
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get install -f

install gconf-editor and use it

Beans

Yes I have rebooted.

I ran the commands Dino posted and will see how that works. I already have gconf-editor installed but I don't follow why you are telling me to use it for this issue.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by elj4176 View Post
    Yes I have rebooted.

I ran the commands Dino posted and will see how that works. I already have gconf-editor installed but I don't follow why you are telling me to use it for this issue.
    Neither do I. Perhaps he misposted.

The command line system monitor htop is great, and will show what is using your CPU. (System Monitor afik only shows that user's usage)]

To install open a terminal [Applications>Accessories>Terminal] and type

[COODE]sudo apt-get install htop[/CODE]

Hit enter, enter your password, hit enter again and it'll install. [You may have to click Y also]

After that, run it in terminal with

Code:
    htop
    and it'll show whats using up your CPU. Post a screenshot here and maybe someone can help track why this is happening.

Also, is this a fresh install or an upgrade?
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans

I use top all the time but haven't tried htop yet. I'll give it a go and see what is going on.

I have been playing with adding/removing the indicator-applet and it seems the sound-service is tied to the messaging applet. Once I kill both of those then the cpu use drops.

I'll try htop and be beack on later to post if I figure something out. For now I'll just remove the indicator-applet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast