Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why doesnt the ubuntu site host usb images that can be installed via dd?

Beans

Why doesnt the ubuntu site host usb images that can be installed via dd?

title says it all really, arch have been doing it for a long time so why cant ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Why doesnt the ubuntu site host usb images that can be installed via dd?

Because Ubuntu includes a handy little application called 'usb-creator' that will do it for you. 'dd' can be a dangerous command for noobs and even not-so-noobs like me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Because Ubuntu includes a handy little application called 'usb-creator' that will do it for you. 'dd' can be a dangerous command for noobs and even not-so-noobs like me.
    i am aware of the usb creator, i only have 1 pc i use ubuntu on, and that doesn't have a cd drive on it, so i have to burn the cd , boot it from a computer with a cd drive then make the usb disk there, which seems alot of un necessary steps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

personally, I can think of many reasons. First being actual demand. Of all of the users of Ubuntu, how many run it from a USB?

Then there is the issue of USB itself. How reliable is your pen drive .. is it a quality drive or a cheap piece of junk that can and will fail at any moment?

USB itself on some computers is a total crap shoot as to ITS reliability.

Why offer something that is going to get a bunch of complaints about "my download doesn't work" because there is no control over USB itself during the download?

Just my thoughts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I used unetbootin

My PC does have a cd-rom drive, but I rather use my usb flash drive than add another used cd-rom to my big pile of cup coaster thingies

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by markp1989 View Post
    i am aware of the usb creator, i only have 1 pc i use ubuntu on, and that doesn't have a cd drive on it, so i have to burn the cd , boot it from a computer with a cd drive then make the usb disk there, which seems alot of un necessary steps
    You can create a usb image directly from the iso, using the USB Startup Creator applet.

You can also mount the iso and use dd to create a usb device.

Quote Originally Posted by markp1989 View Post
    title says it all really, arch have been doing it for a long time so why cant ubuntu?
    I've been wondering about this for a while too. It's very handy to dd a USB image and boot straightaway from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    The only problem is, before you can get to the USB creator, you still have to get into the Ubuntu system, so you still end up writing a CD to get to the desktop to open the USB creator. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightstar View Post
    I used unetbootin ... My PC does have a cd-rom drive, but I rather use my usb flash drive than add another used cd-rom to my big pile of cup coaster thingies
    I tried that this time too, and it worked quite well. Not every ISO seems to work, but the majority do.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post

Then there is the issue of USB itself. How reliable is your pen drive .. is it a quality drive or a cheap piece of junk that can and will fail at any moment?
    This is pure bupkus IMHO, it's not like he's installing to USB and using it for data, this is no different than CD. You could have bad burns, or scratch the disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Very friendly method...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    personally, I can think of many reasons. First being actual demand. Of all of the users of Ubuntu, how many run it from a USB?

USB itself on some computers is a total crap shoot as to ITS reliability.

Why offer something that is going to get a bunch of complaints about "my download doesn't work" because there is no control over USB itself during the download?

Just my thoughts.
    I think that you are missing the point. I do all of my installs since 8.10 with a usb drive. Its not like I use a live-usb to do any work, I just find it to be a much faster and more convenient way to do an install. Besides, I would rather do it with the live-usb then have to use yet another CD any day. But this is just my preference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast