I installed 9.10 on a Vista 64-bit PC with AMD64 dual core. I have 3 hard drives. 1 x partitioned in to 2 for Vista and its appluications on the other partition. I have another hard drive partitioned with one for documents and the other for Ubuntu OS. The 3rd hard drive was for future backup....

I started to install Ubuntu 10.4 with the Update Manager. It got to the stage where it had just finished downloading the new files.when suddenly, I assume as it started the install, all hell broke loose and it crashed. At first I could restart the machine and could see I had lost system info: there were no "SHUT DOWN", "Network" and other buttons and notifcation tablets on the ribbon. The Update Manage was missing bits too.

It did suggest "re try" but that would not work. I then tried Symnaptics and did a "fix broken items". It found over 90, but could not install them.

Then it stopped working all together. I can not gain access. It did break Vista too but I managed to get that up and running again, but I have files on the desktop, the Evolution eMail has vast amounts of stuff and I would like to keep the settings in Firefox....

I have tried using the 9.10 CD to fix but if I go in as "trial" and use the update manager or Synaptics it can not complete the install, it says out of memory.

I am happy to reload the OS, either one, but how do I do it without destroying my valuable data...

I have two machines I have been working on and neither have worked! See other thread.

Can anyone help?