Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 10.4 failed on install and noe will not open in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: 10.4 failed on install and noe will not open in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    First rule: if it ain't broke don't fix it

So, if everything boots OK, I'd leave it be.

The only thing that concerns me at all are the boot files of both the Windows OS's:

But the boot sectors themselves look OK so if they both boot OK I'd leave well enough alone

Are you having any specific boot issues with either machine?
    Hi kansasnoob
    Thought I'd lost you... Glad you are back.

PC2 is almost fine. It boots OK, and am about to remove the old 9.10 that does not work. I have extracted all I think I need.

PC 1 is a problem. I can not get it to boot into 10.4 unless I go into Recovery and then load the temp "default" resolution settings when that fails to load and gives recovery options...

I also have a complex load in GRUB with three levels. The first comes up on Boot as it should but does not show the 10.4 install, even with GRUB update being run. If I have it load into Vista I get another menu, more like the one installed with Wubi installs. Here the default is Vista, again, then two that just say UBUNTU, of which the first fails, the second loads another GRUB menu which does include all the OS options.

My ideal would be to have JUST the last menu available as it shows everything.... along with a working 10.4

If I recall I included photo shots of the menus in one of my dispatches.

PS. I downloaded the partitioner you suggested, which is sitting in a folder on my Desktop, but how do I load it on my machine?

Cheers M8
    Last edited by Jonners59; May 11th, 2010 at 04:51 PM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

grub2 dont work well if it find grub1 somewhere on your system: so remove/purge grub1 and menu.lst (only grub-pc and grub-common have to be installed, then run:
    - sudo grub-mkconfig
    - sudo update-grub )

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=14

you can customize your boot with startup-manager

Beans

Dino99
    Thanks for this....
    Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    grub2 dont work well if it find grub1 somewhere on your system: so remove/purge grub1 and menu.lst (only grub-pc and grub-common have to be installed
    Question, what do I run to do the above remove/purge, please?

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    you can customize your boot with startup-manager
    Used this in my 2 x 9.10 and 1 x 10.4 installs, but it does not clear the crap... If the purge you mention works to clear out all the old and the new config install a good new one, then that would be a great start.

Beans

Any Help, Please. This has been hanging around for a couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by Jonners59 View Post
    Hi kansasnoob
    Thought I'd lost you... Glad you are back.

PC2 is almost fine. It boots OK, and am about to remove the old 9.10 that does not work. I have extracted all I think I need.

PC 1 is a problem. I can not get it to boot into 10.4 unless I go into Recovery and then load the temp "default" resolution settings when that fails to load and gives recovery options...

I also have a complex load in GRUB with three levels. The first comes up on Boot as it should but does not show the 10.4 install, even with GRUB update being run. If I have it load into Vista I get another menu, more like the one installed with Wubi installs. Here the default is Vista, again, then two that just say UBUNTU, of which the first fails, the second loads another GRUB menu which does include all the OS options.

My ideal would be to have JUST the last menu available as it shows everything.... along with a working 10.4

If I recall I included photo shots of the menus in one of my dispatches.

PS. I downloaded the partitioner you suggested, which is sitting in a folder on my Desktop, but how do I load it on my machine?

Cheers M8

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234