Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10.4 failed on install and noe will not open in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: 10.4 failed on install and noe will not open in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Give me a bit. I see we're talking about two computers now, but we need to focus on one at a time, OK
    Yes, we are. I have comments in the thread about upgrade experiences, and as I was getting no feedback I raised 3 separate threads one each for the PCs I am struggling with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonners59 View Post
    I have two machines not working:

This one, which I enclose will not open Vista. It is in the GRUB and worked fine until I did an update in 10.4, and now it will not start. Every time I select it from the GRUB menu it reverts to the menu again....

The other for which I will now try and run this, I have the opposite. This install failed just after the download packages as it was starting to install 10.4. As a result it damaged the 9.10 installation. The Kernel is listed but it freezes after start... all version of Ubuntu.

If we can fix the first then if happy can we look at the other machine?
    I agree with focusing on just one, but as the thread started to lean more to the other PC, so I included it. I think the one this thread was originally for, I need to step back - that is another matter.

Perhaps I should add what is wrong with this PC:
    Cutting to the chase. I have Vista that I know works. U9.10 that works and 10.4 that works. I updated 10.4 and lost accesss to Vista, so rebuilt Vista, but could not see anything else, so I installed 9.10 again, but within Vista (Wubi), this got it all working again. I updayed 10.4 again and again lost Vista. So in GRUB I have listed:
    U 10.4
    Vista
    U 9.10

When I select Vista it flickers and returns to the GRUB menu again, not loading. The 9.10 loaded within Vista (Wubi) does not show in the list, not that I need it too. Would like to remove it when finished. Hope this helps a bit.

So, please if you can help with the PC that I have pasted the log in the thread.... not the pdf.
    Last edited by Jonners59; May 4th, 2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added quote

Beans

OK, just parsing what I see, which is important since you have more than one machine

You have three drives on this one; /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, /dev/sdb: 750.2 GB, and /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB.

Operating Systems:

sda1 = Vista w/Ubuntu 9.10 Wubi
    sda6 = Ubuntu 9.10
    sda4 = Ubuntu 10.04

All three have some problems:

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
    Boot sector type: Grub 2
    Boot sector info: Grub 2 is installed in the boot sector of sda1 and
    looks at sector 430105636 of the same hard drive for
    core.img, but core.img can not be found at this
    location. No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.

Operating System: Windows Vista
    Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe
    /wubildr.mbr /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /wubildr
    /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    /ubuntu/disks/swap.disk
    sda6: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext4
    Boot sector info: Grub 2 is installed in the boot sector of sda6 and
    location.

Operating System: Ubuntu 9.10
    Boot files/dirs: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img
    sda4: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext4
    Boot sector info: Grub 2 is installed in the boot sector of sda4 and
    location.

Operating System: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Boot files/dirs: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img
    And what we know about drive mbr's:

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in
    partition #4 for /boot/grub.
    => Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks for
    (UUID=4b150660-9949-4e9e-ae16-5b9169239cae)/boot/grub.
    => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc
    So first of all I want you to know how to change mbr's to Windows readable or Ubuntu using nothing but an Ubuntu Live CD! To change any mbr to Windows readable boot any Ubuntu Live CD and run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    Code:
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sdX mbr
    Of course you must replace X with the proper drive designation!

Then my "failsafe" method of reinstalling any version of grub to an mbr with any version of Ubuntu Live CD, you must mount and chroot the appropriate partition:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt && sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev &&sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc && sudo chroot /mnt
    Note: there, of course, XY must be replaced with the proper drive and partition designations!

Code:
    grub-install /dev/sdX
    Note: again X must be replaced with the proper drive designation!

Note #2: If a 'grub-install' command fails run:

Code:
    grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX
    Then you must exit the chroot and unmount:

Code:
    exit
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/dev && sudo umount /mnt/proc && sudo umount /mnt
    Now, back to your original problem, you said, "It did break Vista too but I managed to get that up and running again". So you can run Vista?

If so that's fine but otherwise look here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ms:Boot_Sector

As far as the failed upgrade since that shows:

sda6 = Ubuntu 9.10
    sda4 = Ubuntu 10.04
    I'd assume that the upgrade failed on sda4??????????

Does that sound right? If so I'd use the above "lilo" commands to be sure Windows boots. Then I'd hand grub off to Karmic on sda6, then be sure to run "sudo update-grub" in that Karmic and see what happens when you try to boot Lucid on sda4.

If booting Lucid on sda4 fails as expected I'd try booting sda4 in recovery Mode which may produce some errors which may provide clues that can be helpful, so write them down! When Recovery Mode ends it shows:

resume
    clean
    dpkg
    failsafeX
    grub
    netroot
    root

I'd choose "dpkg" and see what it shows.

I guess I need to know what happens along that path before proceeding

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jonners59 View Post
    Yes, we are. I have comments in the thread about upgrade experiences, and as I was getting no feedback I raised 3 separate threads one each for the PCs I am struggling with.

I agree with focusing on just one, but as the thread started to lean more to the other PC, so I included it. I think the one this thread was originally for, I need to step back - that is another matter.

Perhaps I should add what is wrong with this PC:
    Cutting to the chase. I have Vista that I know works. U9.10 that works and 10.4 that works. I updated 10.4 and lost accesss to Vista, so rebuilt Vista, but could not see anything else, so I installed 9.10 again, but within Vista (Wubi), this got it all working again. I updayed 10.4 again and again lost Vista. So in GRUB I have listed:
    U 10.4
    Vista
    U 9.10

When I select Vista it flickers and returns to the GRUB menu again, not loading. The 9.10 loaded within Vista (Wubi) does not show in the list, not that I need it too. Would like to remove it when finished. Hope this helps a bit.

So, please if you can help with the PC that I have pasted the log in the thread.... not the pdf.
    Well, I gave some very general instructions that I hope will be helpful forever with any multi-boot machine, then I tried to give some slightly more specific instructions

Ya know though, I've been at this since about 5:30AM and it's now 2:00PM and I'm tired

That's all cool, I'm old and I get tired, but I also get cranky so please try to be a bit patient if possible and we'll work through this.

What really smokes me is that they released this "on time, but broken"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was still testing (officially testing) when they decided to release!!!!!!!!!!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many problems with installing and upgrades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans

Well, I gave some very general instructions that I hope will be helpful forever with any multi-boot machine, then I tried to give some slightly more specific instructions

Ya know though, I've been at this since about 5:30AM and it's now 2:00PM and I'm tired

That's all cool, I'm old and I get tired, but I also get cranky so please try to be a bit patient if possible and we'll work through this.

What really smokes me is that they released this "on time, but broken"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was still testing (officially testing) when they decided to release!!!!!!!!!!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many problems with installing and upgrades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tell me about it... I started Thursday evening and worked through the night and weekend and completely missed the bank hols. I have NEVER had issues installing Windows as much as I hate them, it always works straight out of the box. I am fed up! Everyone is telling me I'm wasting my life. This machine is just about working. This is PC1 and I am working in Vista to write this too you. Could not cope on a mobile.

I re-installed 9.10 on to this but when sel;ecting the new install via the GRUB it does not work, I get a username login: and it shivers and won't accept any key entries so I cold restared and am using Vista.

The other machine I am now re-installing Vista to get it going again.... maybe I should reload 9.10 again????? I du8no, I've lost it!

Beans

OK, very interesting!!!!!!

I reinstalled Vista, over writing the previous. Did a basic set up to get me going, was not going to spend a long time in the detail if I have to do again later...

On reboot I was presented with 2 options:

Vista and Ubuntu. I selected Vista to complete the install, but after reboot, I selected Vista...

There was a GRUB with 2 x U 9.10, 1 x U 10.4 and Vista...

I selected the later 9.10, which opened the U9.10 on it's own partition. Worked perfectly.

I then rebooted and loaded 10.4, it too opened perfectly

I then opened the other 9.4, it would not open - this was the first item in the list. I made a guess that it was the old U9.10 that I had installed within the last Vista using Wubi. I rebooted and opened using Recovery. I chose to rebuild the GRUB. I rebooted via command line

I re tried 9.10 again and it loaded perfectly.

I then tried Vista and that worked too. I have also just been in all the U and been changing the boot order using StartupManager. This has shown me that the U9.10 that is working for the GRUB is the one within Vista, installed using Wubi.

Now that is the good news... Now the bad:
    1. I only need 1 x 9.10 and in future not even that, so I need to remove one?
    2. The GRUB is not the correct GRUB to use, I imagine for the system as when I do an upgrade in 10.4 it will go awol again, I imagine, so I need to swap them..., yes? And if so, how?
    3. The Wubi Kernel sometimes does not load and a hot reboot is required.

ANy help welcome.

Beans

OK, all is sort of working on PC1...
    I now need to tidy up:

1. I removed one of the 9.10 OS so have some space I'd like to merge with the adjoining Linux partition (U10.4). How? I have no devices that enable this in Linux.
    2. I have multiple GRUB. I would like to remove all bar 1 and re configure it. How?
    3. I have an unusual Start up - before GRUB - which may be related to the multiple GRUB issue above. Screen shot enclosed. Would not be too bad if it had a time-out, but it does not it just sits there until selection is made. The top entry is "Vista 2007/8". How do I remove this?
    4. I want a Linux based PBX with IVR, attendent consoul, vMail, etc... jsut like I had in Windows. I installed the Asterix, but it is not in any of the menus when I look...

Then I must sort out PC2.

Beans

1. I removed one of the 9.10 OS so have some space I'd like to merge with the adjoining Linux partition (U10.4). How? I have no devices that enable this in Linux.
    Are you acquainted at all with Gparted?

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

It's on the Ubuntu Live CD but I prefer version 'gparted-live-0.4.6-1.iso' because it just always works for me.

2. I have multiple GRUB. I would like to remove all bar 1 and re configure it. How?
    OK, I'm guessing here. Do you mean the grub menu appears once, then you select an OS and it appears again? If so that sounds like a "chainload" where one grub is handing boot off to another. A new RESULTS.txt from the Boot Info Script might help me see what's up with that.

3. I have an unusual Start up - before GRUB - which may be related to the multiple GRUB issue above. Screen shot enclosed. Would not be too bad if it had a time-out, but it does not it just sits there until selection is made. The top entry is "Vista 2007/8". How do I remove this?
    I don't see a screenshot??????? I'm just not really sure, again a new output of the Boot Info Script may help me understand.

RE #4, I'm totally clueless. I'm not acquainted with what you're describing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Can you start Ubuntu in recovery mode? IF you can once you get to the menu choose drop to root prompt with networking, once at the prompt type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    once that has finished type:

Code:
    sudo aptitude update && aptitude -y safe-upgrade
    once the second command has completed type:

Code:
    reboot
    that should get you to the desktop.

When requesting help it is always a good idea to at least include you computer specs
    Hello pal, many thanks for this info. I followed it and I was able to get to the desktop and there the system hangs. The cursor doesn't move and I can't log in. Pls I'll be glad if you can help. I use ASUS K40IN. Many thanks

Beans

Are you acquainted at all with Gparted?

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

It's on the Ubuntu Live CD but I prefer version 'gparted-live-0.4.6-1.iso' because it just always works for me.
    Not seen this before. I have downloaded on to PC2 and will copy it over to PC1 later, then try it out. I guess I just delete the partition and reformate. Can I then extend the Linux on to the then empty partition?

OK, I'm guessing here. Do you mean the grub menu appears once, then you select an OS and it appears again? If so that sounds like a "chainload" where one grub is handing boot off to another. A new RESULTS.txt from the Boot Info Script might help me see what's up with that.
    I get different lists with different things in them. Yes I do get the "chainload", but that's not a big issue as it is when I select Vista it then goes to another menu, but as I have set Vista up as default it loads correctly without any hassle. I guess if I set one of the others (kernel) as my default, which I will do at some stage when happy with the U10.4 set-up), then I'd get the same, auto load.

My concern here is the below menu... AND does having more then one GRUB menu cause a problem later on... If not then I am happy to leave it, in which case I just need to address the 1st menu (screen-shot enclosed).

I don't see a screenshot??????? I'm just not really sure, again a new output of the Boot Info Script may help me understand.
    Sorry, tiered. I forgot to include it. I had to use the camera on my phone to take the shot. The top selection is "Vista 2007/8" Some just load in to a blank screen, i.e. the screen goes black and I just have a curser flashing, so have to cold restart.

RE #4, I'm totally clueless. I'm not acquainted with what you're describing
    Re 4. I have resolved that. I found a site that has an Asterix download. I am backing up now, so will check it out later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amightyo View Post
    Hello pal, many thanks for this info. I followed it and I was able to get to the desktop and there the system hangs. The cursor doesn't move and I can't log in. Pls I'll be glad if you can help. I use ASUS K40IN. Many thanks
    Sorry, I'm not the best to help. Open a new thread...... Good luck.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast