Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRM + no firmware update = No "Avatar" for you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post DRM + no firmware update = No "Avatar" for you!

An unusual glitch has angered some "Avatar" Blu-ray owners. For these unlucky people, since the disc won't play on their Blu-ray players, their new "Avatar" DVD serves no real purpose other than to sit idly on the coffee table...

It appears the main culprit concerning playback issues with "Avatar" is, ironically, the disc's DRM (digital rights management). DRM, which is the very technology meant to prevent bootleggers from illegally copying the film, is the very technology preventing people who actually paid for the disc from watching the film. Even with updated firmware, a lot of Blu-ray players weren't prepared for these security measures...
    http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movi...watch-DVD.html

Beans

Re: DRM + no firmware update = No "Avatar" for you!

Gotta love DRM, it claim to be trying to prevent piracy but as far as I can tell it encourages piracy more then it prevents it.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donkyhotay View Post
    Gotta love DRM, it claim to be trying to prevent piracy but as far as I can tell it encourages piracy more then it prevents it.
    DRM is one of the silliest things ever implemented. It does absolutly nothing to stop piracy. You can download a working version of Avatar right now. It's ironic that the only people that can't watch it are the ones that paid for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

this is why we torrent.
    Registered Linux user # 498664 Ubuntu User # 31004
    Thinkpad T410/ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by donkyhotay View Post
    No kidding. It's the same deal with games as well. Oh, you cannot play it because the DRM doesn't like the cd/dvd? Torrent a pirated copy and you are good to go.

So pathetically sad. I wish they would learn that the only people DRM hurt are the ones who legally obtain software/movies.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    No kidding. It's the same deal with games as well. Oh, you cannot play it because the DRM doesn't like the cd/dvd? Torrent a pirated copy and you are good to go.

So pathetically sad. I wish they would learn that the only people DRM hurt are the ones who legally obtain software/movies.
    It all seems so obvious to anyone that actually steps back and looks at it for a second that I've wondered if the MPAA/RIAA/etc. are really so stupid or if they *do* know it doesn't work and do it anyway because of some agenda. [conspiracy theory]With the importance the transfer of knowledge has had in human history maybe it's all a plot to control information. It used to be illegal to teach certain people to read, illegal to translate certain books (bible) into the 'common' language. All throughout history, those in power was able to maintain their power by limiting knowledge. Maybe that is the true purpose of DRM and the whole "it stops illegal piracy" is a smokescreen for that.[/conspiracy theory] I'm not saying I actually believe this but it is something I've wondered in the back of my mind when I find out about some of the worst examples of DRM because I have trouble picturing a large billion dollar company/organization going through so much trouble to hurt their own profits.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Hidden!

this is the first time that DRM has done something good.

it's protecting these people from themselves

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by note32 View Post
    this is why we torrent.
    And that's why they'll implement more and more invasive DRM, tighten the laws and lay out more punishment.

See the problem here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Nah, the DVD players just have standards.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This sort of nonsense is why I have zero interest in buying any sort of Blu-ray gear.

Blu-ray was already obsolete as a data storage medium, even before it hit the market. An external hard drive is far more economical, as well as vastly more convenient and capable.

That leaves "content delivery." 15-20 GB for a full 1080p movie is pretty hefty, so a prerecorded optical disc is still a reasonable way to rent/buy a copy. But the content mafia have cocked that up as well, as exemplified by this news item.

I just can't muster any interest in Blu-ray, both because I don't have any use for it as a data storage medium, and because the content mafia have done their best to make it a miserable "content delivery" platform as well.

This is the sound of me not rushing out to buy a dedicated Blu-ray player, or a Blu-ray reader or burner for my PC.
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast