Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] Install NVIDIA drivers manually on Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: [HOWTO] Install NVIDIA drivers manually on Lynx

Oh! man thanks a lot, you saved my life =D>
    My laptop is Sony Vaio VPCCW23FX
    After installing Kubuntu for 3 times, trying many different ways to install Nvidia drivers, I got it to work.
    One thing is that for those my need to install build-essential and linux-headers which are required to install the nvidia driver
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    Now time to check what else works
    Last edited by wesamly; May 19th, 2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added laptop model

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Post #1 worked for me (so far 1 shutdown/reboot). But now I lost the nice initial Lucid splash screen and the booting lasts a bit longer.
    I also lost the nvidia settings menu.
    Ozzy - User: Linux 452359 | Ubuntu 16872 |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nvidia settings is there in settings>preferences instead of administration. Plymouth doesn't work with any proprietary driver so boot screen is not there, thankfully it doesn't take Lucid long to boot.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Latest 256 nvidia beta drivers updated on X Swat PPA.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

Thanks for this post, it fixed my KDE issues after upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04. Now that I have my KDE back and things are working again. Do I need to remove the blacklist entries described in step 3?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxforall View Post
    nvidia settings is there in settings>preferences instead of administration. Plymouth doesn't work with any proprietary driver so boot screen is not there, thankfully it doesn't take Lucid long to boot.

Not here. Do you know what package I should have installed for that shortcut to show? I deleted them (nvidia packages) all before doing the manual install
    Thanks.
    Ozzy - User: Linux 452359 | Ubuntu 16872 |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't seem to get this to work. I've followed every step properly and when I reboot I still get into the desktop just as nothing would've happened.

I do have a space at the very end of the blacklist thing too and I've uninstalled the drivers.

Anyone? All help is appericiated.

Edit: Oh, and I use Ubuntu 10.4!
    Last edited by phendrome; May 28th, 2010 at 11:59 PM.

Beans

I have tried this method twice. The first time I would get the ubuntu splash indefinately after installing the drivers. I had to reinstall ubuntu. Now I set ubuntu to boot into terminal rather than with xserver. Now when I try to start the xserver or gdm system hangs. Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm, I actually tried the second method (which is linked on the first post at the very end) and I did everything correct and I managed to install the new NVIDIA drivers (195.36.24).

However, I still ain't able to use the desktop effects, neither am I able to check if the drivers are actually there. Which I find very weird.

One thing that might have been wrong, is that - after the installation was completed and I still was in the console, I didn't type a command to reboot, I rebooted from the reset button on the case.

Anyone might have an idea what could be wrong?

Oh yeah by the way, I'm using PNY 8800 GTS 640MB (G80).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

AndyBoy_LV, I am in your debt. Last week my home server choked (nVidia GTS-240) and your instructions returned it to full functionality. Today, for reasons I cannot fathom, my laptop suddenly decided it, too, needed to self-bork its ability to activate the nVidia card (nVidia 8400M). The confusion on timing of the laptop's self-borking is that I spent the weekend in an area without Internet access and booted the machine and shut it down on three occasions. On the fourth, it borked. Go figure.

Anyhow, AndyBoy_LV's guide restored my laptop to full function as well.

I hope someday to be able to figure this stuff out on my own. But in the meantime, I am deeply grateful for the many out there who take the time to make the Linux experience more rewarding for mere users such as I am.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast