Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] Install NVIDIA drivers manually on Lynx

Beans

Re: [HOWTO] Install NVIDIA drivers manually on Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by telescopic View Post
    ...What should i do? I don't know where is the kernel source path...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` binutils pkg-config build-essential  xserver-xorg-dev

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VyacheslavS View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` binutils pkg-config build-essential  xserver-xorg-dev
    Thank you. May i ask why I need to install these files? They are related to the kernel? Aren't kernels the file inside the folder /boot under the name something likes: "2.716...generic" ?

Beans

And one more note, as I spent much more than 3 hours on this issue for a linux pendrive and solved it thanks to snuffmeister:
    • Blacklist nouveau by running
    • Code:
      sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    • Add "blacklist nouveau" at the end; save and close.
    • Then, run this little line of code which most tutorials are missing and for the love of me I can't figure out why....
    • Also, I'd like to thank mrpeenut24 for saving my sanity
    • Code:
      sudo update-initramfs -u
    • This is mentioned in the blacklist.conf file, I think, but idiots like me don't read that because we're just cool that way. If we did, we wouldn't have had spent 3 hours on this issue and that just would have been enjoyable.

Again, all credits go to snuffmeister

And one more thing from my side for a linux pendrive - here is a nice point: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/X/Troubleshooting/Nouveau
    So, just edit the menu.lst find the line with "quiet splash" and add nouveau.modeset=0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VyacheslavS View Post
    Code:
    As said in my last post, I follows the Page 4 in this thread and install the driver, it gives me the error message about the whereabouts of the kernel. Thanks to tips of VyacheslavS, I install the Linux header.

>uname -r
    >sudo apt-get install linux-headers-"Output from above command"

then install the Nvidia driver for 64 bit; it installs the driver. But, when I reboot, Grubs runs fine, I see the logo "Ubuntu 10.04..." ,then falls on the shell prompte asking me to login. Then I type at prompte "sudo service gdm start". Xserver is not loaded.

Why? Do i need to undo the blacklist procedure?

Beans

Thank you I was able to install Nvidia Drivers manually through those commands using the Terminal.

However be advised you will need to write down the install insructions as your computer will boot to DOS and a username: & Password: Login

After that use the <dir> commnd to list so you cn see everything for peace of mind.
    Now type <Downloads> then <dir> my Beta driver for the Nvidia card was downloaded by Firefox to the download folder by default.

Now use the Sudo commands as described and replace the above info with the current NVIDIA driver found in the downloads folder.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trespuntos View Post
    i was in the same situation as denali. after researching a little, this method let me install nvidia drivers. I hope it can help some of you

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist rivatv

(remember last space)

sudo gdm-stop
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

RESTART

(after this ubuntu boots with some graphical errors like white lines and incorrect resolution)

sudo gdm-stop
    sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

RESTART

(after this, ubuntu boots with no graphical errors BUT CANT GET INTO TERMINAL with gdm stopped so cant install nvidia drivers)

So heres the tricky part

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf

and you need to comment 'blacklist vesafb' and add 'blacklist vgafb16' (both without quotes)

sudo nano /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

and add 'fbcon' and 'vesafb' (dont forget last space)

sudo update-initramfs -u

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

search for 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=' and ADD (dont delete) vga=771 or 795 (according to your resolution)

sudo update-grub

RESTART

sudo gdm-stop

now can enter terminal and install NVIDIA drivers. and they will install without errors.
    Wow, thanks trespuntos ... this ACTUALLY WORKED. I've tried everything & was starting to feel pain from knocking my head against a wall.

Cheers,
    enakud

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

or if you have an 8 series and up card that supports vdpau, just get the avenard repo http://avenard.com/media/Home.html

http://avenard.com/media/Ubuntu_Repo...epository.html

it should get you the latest nvidia drivers soon as they are out of testing.

i believe you can add the testing repo to get unstable drivers.

if you guys are into mythtv, that's also useful.

make sure you add the correct repo for your version of k/ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you sir! I followed the instructions in opening post to install NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-275.09.07.run on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty x64.
    Worked like a charm and now back to my desktop safe and sound!
    Just wanted to say thanks!
    I think we're lost...
    I've been lost before and this is what it looks like.

Beans

Hello All, I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I decided to install the latest Nvdia driver manually because sometimes when I boot my computer all I get is a black screen. I have noticed from online posts that others are having this problem too. I won't go into too much detail about that because it may not be relevant to this thread. I have a GeForce 8400 GS. Anyways, I followed the steps on page 4 suggested by trespuntos. After the last restart in the instructions, I login as usual, open a terminal (using Applications-> Accessories) and type "sudo gdm-stop". This just causes my screen to go black and eventually the screen hibernates. I rebooted the computer using the power button, logged in, and this time tried ctrl-alt-F1 first, resulting in the same black screen. So it seems that in my case, the previous steps outlined by trespuntos (no disrespect intended!) do not allow me to stop gdm, and install the nvidia drivers from the command line. Any advice? I have been using Ubuntu for a few years and love it, but consider myself a noob. Also, this is my first post... so go easy on me! Thanks!

Beans

Thanks AndyBoy_LV, good job!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast