Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound Problems 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sound Problems 10.04

I just upgraded to Lucid from Koala on my Dell Inspiron 13. It looks great and everything seems to be running so far, but I'm having some sound issues.

At first no sound worked. I tried reinstalling pulseaudio and this did nothing. I reconfigured ALSA (alsaconf) and now I can hear sounds played in Ubuntu (system sounds, MP3s etc.) However, sounds do not work when played in Firefox (i.e. YouTube). Also, my microphone does not appear to work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Sound Problems 10.04

Try
    Code:
    alsamixer
    in terminal. Use the cursor keys to move sideways and to raise and lower levels, "M" to mute/unmute, tab to move from Playback to Capture to All, and Esc to save and quit.

Make sure nothing is muted or set too low, which seems often to be the way it is setup by default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

install gnome-alsamixer and paprefs
    tweak gnome-alsamixer (apps sound)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've already tried checking the levels in alsa-mixer, pulseaudiomixer and gnome-volume-control. All the levels are fine. No channels are muted. I know sound works because I can play music files locally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I fixed the Firefox issues. It was a flash issue. I purged all flash and installed adobe-flashplugin.

Beans

Question Re: Sound Problems 10.04

I have installed Karmic on MSI ms.1314 after original motherboard was replaced under warranty. I have read all the forums ect, tried many so called fixes but no, sound recorder will record a few words then lock up. So shut down again to get rid of sound recorder. So today after weeks of looking at the problem, I have done a new install of Lucid, looks and goes great, audio out is good, but still no sound recorder.
    Also when I try to open sound preferences as soon as the mouse hits it, it dissapears.
    So please? is there a fix as I want it work on Skpe when travelling.
    Bill.

Beans

Question Re: Sound Problems 10.04

Same problem here. Sound playback works, but I have not gotten any sound capture to work. I'd also like to be able to use Skype.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had the same problem (my computer had sound but FF did not). To resolve, I had to remove and reinstall adobe flash. Then I played with the pull down under hardware in the sounds menu. The incorrect profile was set.

BTW: for whatever reason, Lucid also failed to include gnome-volume-control-applet in the top menu bar. I had to add it to applications that start with the computer.

update: it seems this problem reappears with every restart. Sound works on the computer except FF. Removing and reinstalling adobe flash corrects this and FF has sound again. Odd.
    Last edited by geodanny; May 10th, 2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

64 bit Lucid:

Something I found out with my new Vaio with i3 processor. When I uninstalled both alsa and pulse, I still got the same low volume. Exactly the same. That seems a tad bizarre. Only time volume changes (even lower) is when I drop down master and pcm after I reinstall alsa.

Also the 100% (read many others) usage on two cpu's was taken care of when I killed the pulse process. I only tried that because I will be fresh installing again. Crazy stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lucid 64 bit:

The following link worked for my Sony Vaio laptop. Having proper audio again is fantastic! I chose the easy solution. Go slow, be sure.

http://ubuntu42.blogspot.com/2010/05...sony-vaio.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast