Thread: Is it Possible to get add/remove Application back?

Beans

Is it Possible to get add/remove Application back?

Is it possible to get "add/remove Application" back?

Software Center looks nice... but that is all it is.. looking nice.... I really don't like the fact that you cannot select all the application you want to install and installed them at once. Especially when you first setting up your system.

I mean you could use synaptic. but sometime you just want "shop" through the list. Plus, you sometime you just can't remember all the name of the App you want to install, in "add/remove Application" you can shop through icon. you might argue, so did Software Center, but sitting in front of you computer, during the entire process of installing every softwares.... takes like hours.... With "Add/Remove Application" It takes a min to make all the decision and you can walk away. You wouldn't use it a lot. But it would be handy when you needed. I mean I don't really get why "Add/Remove Application" got replaced. Not to mention Software center "Gray Out" a lot

I don't know. Add/Remove Application just make hell of more sense. I am not such if I can install the old package from ubuntu 9.10.

just a little complain, but it is within reasons.

Thanks all
    Last edited by Ioky; April 30th, 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Beans

Re: Is it Possible to get add/remove Application back?

Use Adept, its some kind of Add/Remove replacement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by illegible View Post
    Use Adept, its some kind of Add/Remove replacement.
    Adept is kubuntu package manager.

If the OP doesn't like Software Centre then use System>admin>synaptic package manager for now.

https://answers.launchpad.net/softwa...uestion/105564

Looks like it's in limbo.
    Last edited by philinux; April 30th, 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Was wondering this also, I miss the simplicity of the Add/Remove menu. Looks like we're forced to do without it. Annoying. It's one thing marring a fairly pleasurable experience otherwise.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    Was wondering this also, I miss the simplicity of the Add/Remove menu. Looks like we're forced to do without it. Annoying. It's one thing marring a fairly pleasurable experience otherwise.
    I mean we at least should have the option to install software "after" the selection. I personally don't really mind old tool, as long as they work. haha. We love to help out the development of new tool, but it seem like ubuntu remove the old tool, so people have to use their tool. so where is my freedom?

I might be wrong about it. and after all Linux is only limited on your own knowledge and skill. But who knows.

Beans

is it a bug? or that is the way it is. I tried Software Center today just one more time on another computer. after I am half way done with it, It took like 1.8GB of RAM....???

What?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would like to have the interface of the old add/remove back too. it made much more sense, it was far easier to find and select an application, nice search and results presentation. With the new one, iḿ totally confused. Can find only apps that I know their name, not easy to get back to previous search .. any way .. its very confusing and not productive to me. and iḿ using a whole bunch of operating systems and applications.

thanx for paying attention.