Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: window control buttons now on left!????!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

window control buttons now on left!????!

I don't like the window controls switch from right to left...made in 10.04. Easy script to move the buttons here. http://is.gd/bOLJr

Very easy fix.....This is what I love about Linux.
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans

Re: window control buttons now on left!????!

Fantastic - thank you. As a newbie I will also analyze the script to understand how it works - a useful little lesson. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

all i did was change the theme to one i preferred as the default mac'ish look isn't to my taste. I use Dark Looks ,fyi
    All Ubuntu Flavors rock

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

But I love those buttons! I use Netbook Remix; I have heard a lot of "surprise-surprise" stuff here, but, honestly, all the changes have been discussed long before the actual release I just wanted to say that I welcome the changes; Ubuntu is a lot prettier now. Thank you for the script; it is useful for "conservative" Linux users I have thought that I could change the button placement in appearance settings; never bothered to look, though!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No, I'm sorry... the obsession with Mac at the global GNOME evil genius laboratories is out of control. Here's a simple tutorial on moving them back via gconf-editor.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As someone who supports computers for a number of elderly people, many of whom it has taken me years to get to where they consistently understand the function of the buttons in the upper left, I can honestly say that changing the default was probably a Bad Idea. Were it not for the nifty little script posted at the beginning of this thread, I would be looking at either a large amount of pain to move them all back, or a large amount of pain to retrain everyone. Significant changes to look and feel should either prompt on upgrade, or have an easy way to change them built in to the system.
    bIlujlaHbe'chugh, bIQaplaHbe' --tlhIngan vIttlhegh.

Was my answer helpful? A few bitcents to help a starving IT professional would be appreciated! 1CBzQFjyp5xKoRYRZog6VPgR75oCP6T2AJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Another easy way to restore the window button position is to install the right aligned theme:

Step-by-step procedure:
    1. Download the modified theme http://people.ubuntu.com/~dylanmccal...e-Right.tar.gz
    2. Open the menu "System" > "Preferences" > "Appearance"
    3. Click the button "Install"
    4. Open the folder "Downloads"
    5. Select the file "Ambience_Radiance-Right.tar.gz"
    6. Click "Open"
    7. Select the new theme "Ambiance-right"

You then have both the standard unmodified left-aligned theme and the right-aligned theme available and can easily switch back and forth between them with a single click, without adjusting the button position every time.

Beans

thanks!

Beans

I tried the gconf fix, and it doesn't quite do it for me. (I haven't tried the other two fixes yet.) The problem is this: although the buttons look the same as before and function as they should, if you move have a maximised window and move the mouse pointer to the top right corner of the screen, it's not over the close button - you have to move down a pixel or two to get over the button.

You might think this is picky, but it's miles easier to move the pointer to the corner of the screen quickly than to move it just shy of the corner.

Any ideas?

Beans

You can use gstyle to put buttons anywhere you want .

https://launchpad.net/~s-lagui/+archive/ppa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast