Thread: Buy from the Ubuntu One music store, help save the Iberian Lynx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation Buy from the Ubuntu One music store, help save the Iberian Lynx

Nice way to drive traffic to the new music store in Rhythmbox (and also Banshee with an extension) ... gee, I suppose it's a pretty nice thing to do in general. Canonical will donate 50 percent of the purchase price from the Ubuntu One music store (to a maximum of US$1,004) to the charity SOS Lynx, a charity dedicated to saving the endangered Iberian lynx. There are estimated to be only 105 Iberian lynxes left, making it the most endangered feline species in the world.

Music store tracks cost 77 cents each. Most albums cost US$7.77 apiece.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/music-store-lynx
    Last edited by Foster Grant; April 30th, 2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling fail
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Buy from the Ubuntu One music store, help save the Iberian Lynx

50 percent of the purchase price from the Ubuntu One music store (to a maximum of US$1,004)

Wow, that's almost insane !
    How good are we eh, I might actually buy some stuff via the store now.
    Last edited by Phrea; April 30th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Look Like Cats with Goatees

They look like giant cats with goatees. Anyway, good for Ubuntu, these animals are cool.

Beans
    Distro

77 cents??? 99 pence here in UK. Looks like we will have to be more generous to the disappearing Lynx than our US cousins!
    Obviously shipping all those MP3 files over the atlantic must come at a premium.

Beans
    Distro

People who pirate music are killing the Iberian Lynx.

This is great I can support the artist, ubuntu, and save the Iberian Lynx all at the same time.
    PC: 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad-Core Processor | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Galaxy 2GB GeForce 670 GTX | 30GB OCZ ssd | 1TB + 750GB 7200 RPM Hard Drives | Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows Vista ultimate
    Phone: Samsung Nexus Galaxy (verizon)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think something was wrong with the store last night. I tried multiple times to buy the album and it said it couldn't be done at this time. Anyone else experience this?
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

is for a good cause
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

"to a maximum of US$1,004"

When I read that, I found that a bit cheap. Thousands of people would buy music, thinking that they help save the lynx, and in the end the charity gets a maximum of 1,004 USD from Ubuntu?

So I visited the website of the charity, and found out that it is a campaign organisation. As I understand that, they don't really do conservation action themselves, but kind of act as advocates and PR people. That's cool and useful, but if Ubuntu wants to make a PR thing out of this themselves, why don't they engage a bit more seriously to an organisation that has some real action information? And maybe also newsletters beyond December 2008?

It seems to me that someone googled "Lynx", bumped into this organisation, and made some half-baked attempt to get something going.

I'm not impressed...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't know about the details of the funds and whatnot, but it's nice they raised awareness of the issue, and the Iberian Lynx is an amazing and endangered species, so good for Canonical.

Here are links to 5 mainstream environmental charities for those concerned. I'm not affiliated with any of them, although I've been to a few Audubon events.

World Wildlife Fund
    Sierra Club
    The Nature Conservancy
    National Audubon Society
    Doctors Without Borders

The last is environmental because neglected public health issues have environmental consequences.