Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to enable Fn keys on Eee PC 1005HA and 10.04 Lucid Lynx?

Beans

Re: How to enable Fn keys on Eee PC 1005HA and 10.04 Lucid Lynx?

Quote Originally Posted by leekb View Post
    Fn+F1 = Suspend. Works even before the grub fix.
    Fn+F2 = Wireless/Bluetooth Toggle. Works even before the grub fix. However, it seems to toggle WiFi only. In XP it toggles Bluetooth as well. That's not a problem though. No on-screen notification.
    Fn+F5 = Decrease Brightness. Works even before the grub fix. Before grub fix, on-screen notification was available. After the grub fix, on-screen notification stopped working.
    Fn+F6 = Increase Brightness. Works even before the grub fix. Before grub fix, on-screen notification watills available. After the grub fix, on-screen notification stopped working.
    Fn+F8 = Toggle monitor. Works after applying the grub fix. No on-screen notification.
    Fn+F9 = ? combo key. Works after applying the grub fix. I remapped this key combo to launch an application.
    Fn+F10 = Mute. Works after applying the grub fix. On-screen notification works fine too.
    Fn+F11 = Decrease Volume. Works after applying the grub fix. On-screen notifitchcation works fine too.
    Fn+F12 = Increase Volume. Works after applying the grub fix. On-screen notification works fine too.
    I am Eee PC 1015 PEM, Everything is as described. Except that there is a bug for brighness OSD. At maximum brightness, the OSD isn't at maximum (at about 2/3), however it still take the same 5 notches from minimum to maximum.

On top of that, after adjusting brightness, there will be a drop in brightness when a key is pressed (brightness OSD would appear too). However after adjusting the brightness and another function key is toggled (such as volume), the brightness will drop but will instantly revert (brightness OSD would still briefly appear).

So it's either the volume control or the brightness control.

Beans

Yet nother vote of thanks to KevinP93. Fixed my EEE PC 1000HEB Fn issue.
    MH

In Re:
    Hi!

Try these steps.
    1) Open terminal and type
    Code:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

2) enter password
    3) add
    Code:

acpi_osi=Linux

to
    Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

, so that it will look like:
    Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"

4) save file
    5) open terminal again, and type
    Code:

sudo update-grub

6) restart the machine
    7) use hotkeys
    Last edited by mhpathfinder; June 13th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I may have found a solution for others who can't get thier various function keys to work.

Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    xev
    now any key you press (or mouse movement0 will send the information into the terminal. If it is a hotkey that is allready set up may get a 'Notify Event' message.

When I did this I found my F3 key with a Fn combo became an XF86TouchpadToggle event.
    The next job was to write a custom shell script to turn the touchpad on and off, then use the XF86TouchpadToggle as the property for a new custom shortcut, and set it to see my shell script.

----Extra info just in case the above doesn't work----
    It is possible to determine what the key codes for all the key press combinations, you need to skip into a 'proper terminal' (use Ctrl Alt Fn [n=1 to 12 ~] ie a function key)

Login into this 'session' and run the following command

Code:
    dumpkeys
    this command produces a lot of output, so I recomend sending it to a file for easier reading, like the following...
    Code:
    dumpkeys >keyInfo.txt
    Now if that file doesn't get you anywhere, you may need this command...
    Code:
    getKeyCodes
    again you may want to redirect to a file.

then you can look for the key combo you are interested in.

Alternatively you can run
    Code:
    showkey -a
    or
    Code:
    showkey -s
    then when you press your key combo you will get the ASCII return codes for them.

References...

I found the xev stuff on the web, but I can't find the link now!
    showkey stuff comes from http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/funkey/
    and to be able to run dumpkeys and getKeyCodes without errors I figured out from a reply on LinuxQuestions.

David.

I've become a bit of a rarity on these forums over the last year or so, so if you want more info you may find I respond quicker to a pm, but remember to post here also, to help others.
    Last edited by theDaveTheRave; May 24th, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: rusty on forum code tags, I used HTML tags in error!
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234